You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-20 20:26:01

tidalwav1
Website

Sound Only Partially Working (SB Live! 24 Bit External)

Hello, all,

I installed Arch Linux yesterday, and I have to say I'm extremely impressed...Arch appears to be what I've been looking for in a distro for a very long time.

That being said, I can't get my sound to work properly.

I'm running Arch on a VAIO VGN-FS690P laptop, which has a built in sound card (that works perfectly.) I also have an external sound card (the problem one,) a USB External Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24 bit.

When I initially installed Arch and then Gnome, the card showed up in the mixer I couldn't get it to produce sound no matter how hard I tried. I tried some things on the ALSA page of the Arch Wiki (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Alsa#Configuration) including installing alsa-utils, running 'alsactl store' (I know this just stores sound settings for a current session,) and adding alsa to my daemons list in /etc/rc.conf. Now the GNOME mixer remembered volume settings, but my external card still didn't work.

Next I turned to http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Cr … _%28usb%29 . I made a ~/.asoundrc file with these contents from the aforementioned link:

pcm.usb-audio {
           type hw
           card 0
        }

ctl.usb-audio {
           type hw
           card 0
        }

pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dsp0 {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1025 # Should be a unique number
        slave {
                pcm "hw:0"
    }
    bindings {
           0 0
           1 1
    }
}

Amarok was finally able to play sound through the card, but it stuttered. Even though I've since removed the ~/.asoundrc file, the card is still half-working probably because the ALSA daemon stored the settings on shutdown, and restores them on bootup.

I have not been able to get the sound card to work with any program besides Amarok. Banshee can't play any files back. When I run alsamixer, my laptop's internal card is displayed. If I try to run aplay, I get this error message:

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:864:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
aplay: main:545: audio open error: Device or resource busy

Why is the card only half working...why won't it work in any application besides Amarok?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by tidalwav1 (2007-05-20 20:26:45)

#2 2007-05-28 03:04:08

ryurhrt

Re: Sound Only Partially Working (SB Live! 24 Bit External)

try disable ESD deamon.

#3 2007-05-28 03:10:45

tidalwav1
Website

Re: Sound Only Partially Working (SB Live! 24 Bit External)

I was since able to fix my sound problems by bringing up said problems in #ALSA on Freenode IRC. ESD was indeed one of the culprits. Thanks for your help!

Board footer