You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-25 00:39:35

LunarDragon

Installation problem - won't detect hard drive

Hello,
     I downloaded the Duke ISO a few days ago. Sadly, the installation program doesn't seem to recognize my hard drive. Specs for the computer are as follows:

IBM Thinkpad 600x
PIII 500 MHz
256 MB RAM
Standard laptop IDE hard drive - 20 GB

I tried it again, using the "arch ide-legacy" option. The same problem occured.

I'm new to Arch, but I've been a serious Linux user for about a year. This is the first time I've seen something like this.

Any reccomendations?

#2 2007-05-25 00:54:08

scoon

Re: Installation problem - won't detect hard drive

Hey there,

When the disc loads, you can pass it and argument.  I think it is: arch=ide-legacy.    The text displayed is very clear about that.   Aso, I couldn't get grub to load onto the MBR so I ended up using lilo. 

-scoon

foo...

#3 2007-05-28 03:59:27

LunarDragon

I already tried the ide-legacy option, following the text displayed. I typed "arch ide-legacy", and the system booted properly. The install program still doesn't detect the hard drive.

#4 2007-05-28 15:13:00

scoon

LunarDragon wrote:

I already tried the ide-legacy option, following the text displayed. I typed "arch ide-legacy", and the system booted properly. The install program still doesn't detect the hard drive.

This probably doesn't help you but when I have a hard time with hardware, I try and see if it'll work w/ knoppix. 

-scoon

foo...

#5 2007-05-28 18:41:00

LunarDragon

I haven't tried Knoppix yet. I've been burning a bunch of distro CDs lately...that would be a good one to have in the collection.

It's really strange, just because on this very same laptop I've been able to install Ubuntu (6.06, 6.10, and 7.04), Debian, Vector, and Zenwalk. Two years ago I had the now discontinued Sun Java Desktop variant of SUSE. An older Gentoo-based SystemRescueCD boots up fine too (I haven't tried the latest SystemRescueCD).

The IBM 600X has it's share of quirks, though. Kind of a bummer, but I suppose there's other machines I can try Arch on (this one is just my primary machine at the moment)

Board footer