You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-01 19:51:39

jskier
Website

Converting or playing aac(m4p), wmv protected files in Linux

I use Napster and iTunes a lot, and have no way of playing these files unless I burn a cd and rip them into mp3. I tried the faad2 program with no success at all, and it doesn't seem possible with this app according to their fourms (even with DRM compiled in).

Anyone fimilar with an app out there for conversion or decoding of these formats for Linux?

Thanks,
Jay

--
JSkier

#2 2004-05-01 21:00:16

zeppelin
Website

Re: Converting or playing aac(m4p), wmv protected files in Linux

because what you want to do is not illegal we can discuss easily here.
even if it was illegal, I don't give a damn cause noones really loses money except the big companies! smile

in order to be able to decrypt your files you MUST do it in your iTunes Platform (MacOS)

http://www.nanocrew.net/blog/
this guy [who also broke DeCSS and because of him we can rip to disk DVDs and who was recently found innocent for that] now broke the locking system of iTunes files. You just want to play your ALREADY bought and downloaded files in YOUR GNU/Linux platform.

VLC [pacman -S vlc] is able to do the tricks you want.

in the above blog, it is mentioned that Apple was even able to have playfair removed from sarovar.org [which is located in india, and india hasn't signed all this crap about DCMA]
I don't understand how sarovar.org could listen to Apple. but PlayFair is not in sf.net nor in sarovar.
with luck you might find it somewhere

anyways. luckily John Lech [the DeCSS guy] has this code for you:
http://www.nanocrew.net/software/DeDRMS … 0.1.tar.gz
read more in his blog and here: http://www.nanocrew.net/software/DeDRMS … 0.1/README

this will also be helpful

SO. if I get this correctly. you need VideoLan project running on MacOSX and generate the keys:
http://wiki.videolan.org/tiki-read_arti … rticleId=5

then copy your files in GNU/Linux and after pacman -S mono
and mcs -out:DeDRMS.exe *.cs
and finally
DeDRMS.exe file.m4p

THIS  IS ALL LEGAL FOR YOU TO MAKE. so DONT WORRY
I don't know anything about Napster.
oh and btw, there is openFT that has GIFT FASTRACK OPENAP and GNUTELLA

pacman -Ss gift

good luck mate.
you bought this music, yet you can't listen to it!
strange days have found us..

#3 2004-05-01 23:10:08

jskier
Website

Thanks for the quick response. I was able to Google and find playfair easily, unfortunatley, I do not own a Mac, (dual booting Arch with Windoze). This is pretty rediculous that they do DRM, I can understand why, but I think they really ought to look into better methods, or at least port software more broadly. I will make an attempt to write them a letter, see what Apple has to say about the Linux community outside of OS X.

Thanks again, anymore ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Jay

--
JSkier

#4 2004-05-01 23:32:06

zeppelin
Website

so you got encrypted audio not via iTunes..

google could help you generate those keys or fool the files. I haven't done that. I didn't care. if you have a success story tell us!

#5 2004-05-05 05:03:33

sarah31
Website

well i was able to play aac files made in Itunes by simply installing faad2 (and faac) then rebuilt mplayer (by changing the configure options in the mplayer PKGBUILD to use faad (--with-external-faad or something like that). xmms is supposed to be able to handle aac's as well but i never got it to.

i dunno what encryption people are talking of i have no issues sharing the files i have ripped with itunes on my mac and playing them on my linux box.

as for bring ethics into the topic ... take it to OT forum please and i would be more than happy to tell you how wrong you are zepplin.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-05-05 09:17:06

zeppelin
Website

hm ok sarah31. you could pm me with your thoughts about "how wrong is zep"

#7 2004-05-05 15:48:25

robot5x

sarah31 wrote:

well i was able to play aac files made in Itunes by simply installing faad2 (and faac) then rebuilt mplayer

I never had any problems either - if you don't want to recompile mplayer you could just decode them with faad2 then mp3 then with lame.

#8 2004-05-05 15:54:21

mcubednyc

sarah31 wrote:

i dunno what encryption people are talking of

Perhaps I misread the OP, but I was under the impression he was talking about files downloaded from the iTunes store and Napster 2.0.  Both services sell DRM'ed files, iTunes in AAC format and Napster in WMA format.  The issue isn't playing AAC files you rip yourself, the issue is playing AAC files that iTunes cripples with its Fairplay DRM.  The Playfair app is supposed to allow one to play those files on Linux, but Apple is doing it's best to prevent its availability.

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - S. Jackson

#9 2004-05-06 04:06:11

sarah31
Website

mcubednyc wrote:
sarah31 wrote:

i dunno what encryption people are talking of

Perhaps I misread the OP, but I was under the impression he was talking about files downloaded from the iTunes store and Napster 2.0.  Both services sell DRM'ed files, iTunes in AAC format and Napster in WMA format.  The issue isn't playing AAC files you rip yourself, the issue is playing AAC files that iTunes cripples with its Fairplay DRM.  The Playfair app is supposed to allow one to play those files on Linux, but Apple is doing it's best to prevent its availability.

ah i see. i cannot get apple music store here in canada and i only like aac's so i never bothered to look if anyone else carried them. i REALLY want the apple music store to come to canada sad

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer