You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-03 22:21:10

saciel

I want 2 monitors for my WM! And what about 2 monitors in text mode?

I'm going to buy a new small notebook in a few weeks and have some questions conceirning the hardware because there are some topics I never had to deal with. The notebook I'm going to buy will probably feature and Intel GraphicsMediaAccelerator 950 which is said that it can supply two displays (the internal one and an external monitor) independently.

I would like to use two displays to have more free space in my windowmanager. How do I have to configure Xorg to manage two monitors at once. They will have different resolutions and different refresh rates. How does Xorg know how to handle that, and what happens if I use only the internal one because I'm on a trip?

And what happens in textmode, especially when booting. On the kernel commandline I have to tell the vesa framebuffers what resolution I use. What happens if I decide to use the external or the internal one from time to when booting. Will there be a problem?

I'm really not sure how this two-monitors-stuff should work. Please help me!

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

#2 2007-06-04 06:28:26

Acid7711
Website

Re: I want 2 monitors for my WM! And what about 2 monitors in text mode?

While I can't answer all of your questions, I can say with personal experience that when I take my computer to a LAN or something, I only bring one monitor.  I leave my xorg.conf alone and X detects i'm only using one monitor. It's as simple as that.  I'm using twinview btw. That might make a difference.

What you're trying to do sounds a lot different than a single card with dual heads.

Board footer