You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-08 12:06:11

hypermegachi

Bad primary partition 1: Partion ends in the final partial cylinder

i just got a new laptop, dell inspiron 6400.

it's partition table is set up this way:
1) a 55 meg partition which is supposedly the dell boot utility
2) a 10 gig recovery partition that contains the completely original HD
3) a 81 gig partition which has Vista on it
4) a 2 gig partition for MediaDirect

i used dd to backup the 10 gig partition, and was about to install arch.  cfdisk crapped out with the error message:
"FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 3: Partition ends in the final partial cylinder"

ok...i'm stuck.  gparted is able to go in and see all the partitions as fine, and it can delete partition 2, but if i try to format a new volume, it craps out.

now here's the kicker.  if i go into vista and into computer management, i can go there, format the 10gig to ntfs and it works fine.

any ideas?  thanks.

#2 2008-09-24 17:22:53

Zibi1981

Re: Bad primary partition 1: Partion ends in the final partial cylinder

I have a very similar problem with cfdisk on my MSI MegaBook GX600P-208NL. I was about to install Arch64 but due to fatal error mentioned above I was not able to proceed. Any ideas?

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

#3 2008-09-26 10:12:39

Zibi1981

Does anyone know what else could be done than what is described here???

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

#4 2008-09-26 13:36:25

kjon

try cfdisk -z /dev/device. However, this will wipe all your partitions.

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

Board footer