You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-27 21:03:14

dolby

The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Non-Moderator Note: This is the unofficial "I'm a newbie to Arch" thread. Post here if you'd like to say hello to the friends you're going to make here, or to say hello to a friend u persuaded to join the wonderful world of Arch Linux. Feel free to explain your reasons.

Not much sense in posting if you just want to post that "Arch Rocks" (in whatever form of leetspeak you prefer, of course).

Naturally, we hope this thread will be the longest one in the forum history! :-)

below (if u scroll for a short while) you'll find some the first hello of this thread
and prolly some leet comments from ppl already using arch for a while

hello smile

ps. dont be afraid afraid to post. afterall everyone like noobs (mmm blood) tongue

Last edited by dolby (2007-04-27 21:04:41)

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#2 2007-04-27 21:15:34

Kermit

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

OK, I'll be second wink

I'm reading this forum for some time, but because of my bad English I'm not writing a lot wink So, Hello wink

Kermit.

#3 2007-04-27 21:25:12

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Making Sticky & official. I think this is a good idea.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#4 2007-05-07 11:47:23

Origynet

I arrived a few days ago...
So...................

HELLO EVERYONE !

I'm Fred (aka Oryginet here), I come from France (Paris, the most beautiful city of the world), I'm currently working in a SSII (I'm not dure if it makes sense to english speaking people...) and I'm 24...

I chose ArchLinux because I read many gorgeous reviews about it and beacause I love to try many different distros. I'm still running Zenwalk, a marvellous distro !
I admire Arch, because it's simple and fast to install, and because it's very flexible... Pacman seems really powerful, and I'm going to check how to build pacakges soon (when I have more spare time).

Piou Piou

#5 2007-05-08 11:01:30

sH

Hi there,

I use linux since 2 years now, starting with ubuntu.
I've grown up a bit as a linux user and I am able to install most distributions now smile
However I wanted to settle down and choose only one distro. As I was looking for a modular KDE, there was the decision between kubuntu and arch. Tried kubuntu first, nice but had little nasty issues.
I'm really happy with kdemod and arch right now and I guess it stays this way smile

#6 2007-05-10 04:37:41

loserveg

hi,

i've used linux going on 4 years now starting with the "noobish" distros then ventured over to slackware for about a year, got tired of being behind on everything so started to look for more "exciting" distros...actually, i downloaded arch thinking it was ark and well, best mistake i've ever made.

i'm a flux user and an avid "you should convert to linux" kind of guy

all the best,
~matt aka loserveg

#7 2007-05-10 09:54:40

ruimoura
Website

Hi.

I'm Rui Moura, from Portugal. I'm a Multimedia Design Student, and i'm new to Archlinux.

I've been using Linux from the past 2 years or so, but always on a "newbie" distro. First Ubuntu, then Fedora 6, and recently Ubuntu Feisty again.
Then i realized that was about time that i should move to something "bigger", because of all of the crap that comes pre-installed on those so called newbie distros. I found Arch very easy to install, very easy to configure despite it was a shock having to setup some things on text files, during the install cool, but nothing really hard to do.

I find the system faster than it was never before, gnome looks like ferrari, very very fast and smooth, and i can't be more happy with Archlinux.

The only thing that i don't find to my needs yet it's the fonts setup, not as smooth as i had on Ubuntu (i have a laptop, LCD), but I'll get there.

On the other hand, because i'm not a coder or something like that and i don't know how to contribute with code and stuff to Arch development, i've made a small but honest donation.

Long live Archlinux cool

Last edited by ruimoura (2007-05-10 09:55:45)

Microsoft gives you windows, Linux gives you the whole house

#8 2007-05-26 16:12:31

Spent

Hi, I'm an Arch noob.  Even though I registered here back in 2004, I just installed Arch yesterday coming from Gentoo.  I see a couple people here I recognize from the Gentoo forums, so I guess I'm not the only Gentoo defector here. lol

#9 2007-06-07 05:29:08

Thrillhouse

Hi everybody.  New Arch user here.  I've been tinkering with it for the past couple of weeks and I'm very impressed.  pacman is the best package manager I've used yet: simple, intuitive, fast.  I come from a mainly Redhat/Fedora background although I have tried many distros (Ubuntu, SuSE, Debian and Crux) but have yet to find one that can be simple but fast like Arch is.  I think the Arch wiki is an incredible thing and I love the idea that it's officially endorsed by Arch.  I'm hoping I'll eventually feel as comfortable with Arch as I am with Fedora because it would be nice to get rid of some of the bloat.  I love the whole philosophy behind Arch and I'm hoping it will be my distro of choice for years to come.

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

#10 2007-06-11 16:20:11

miggols99

Hi,

I'm miggols99 or Michael. I'm new to Arch Linux and I'm finding everything so easy! I previously used Kubuntu, but I wanted something better and something bleeding edge. Someone suggested to me on the Ubuntu Forums that I could use Arch Linux with KDEmod. I'm running it now! Pacman is really easy - one command to do everything. The config files at first scared me at first, but they are the easiest I've seen! I used these distros:

Ubuntu >> Kubuntu >> Testing: PCLinuxOS, Debian, openSUSE, Fedora... >> Ubuntu >> Debian >> Sidux >> Ubuntu >> Sidux (argh can't make up my mind!!) >> Ubuntu >> Arch Linux smile

As you can see, I'm a distro hopper, but I think I'll stay here now smile

Last edited by miggols99 (2007-06-11 16:23:03)

#11 2007-06-26 16:14:27

mecon

(format t "Hello, World!")

Arch Linux the best thing to come out of Canada since Rush

#12 2007-07-09 23:32:59

aodhon

Hello.

#13 2007-07-11 11:07:56

Ikarus

Hello everyone wink

#14 2007-07-11 14:36:27

F

Hi guyz.

#15 2007-07-11 19:32:52

Sukie

Well, I guess I should say hello smile

I've been using Arch for about six months now, and thought I should finally post something.

I started using linux about 18 months ago, but I consider myself pretty much a n00b.  For the first year I was the queen of distro hoppers, switching distro every couple of months (a few times it was every couple of weeks).  I have a cruddy old laptop and wanted something that ran at a half-decent speed.  I'd heard that Arch was fast, but also very difficult to install.  I thought it would be too difficult for me, but decided to give it a shot anyway.  I followed the instructions in the wiki and got it working first time. big_smile I was amazed at how simple it was, and I felt as though I had a slightly better understanding of what's going on under the hood.

I've never posted before, as whenever I've had a problem, I've managed to solve it by searching the forum and/or googling.  I've never answered anyone else's questions as most of them are way over my head, even in the Beginners forum :-D  Whenever I read here, I wind up feeling like an idiot! lol

Since first installing Arch, my distro-hopping compulsion has gone completely.  I love Arch and can't imagine switching to anything else.

#16 2007-07-11 20:26:58

PenguinFlavored
Website

Hello All,

I'm not much of an Arch Linux n00b, I've been using it for about two years. I haven't been active in the community until recently. I haven't had that much time with classes and other involvements. But, now that it's summer I have more freetime, and I can get to doing the things that I've wanted to do. I really like working with computers. That's why I'm a computer science major. Arch doesn't hold your hand, so I can learn more smile. That's what I like about Arch.

I started out with linux 5 years ago with Redhat (before it split into RHEL and Fedora), and I have used Mandrake (Mandriva now), Debian, Gentoo, Slackware, and Vector. I liked the simplicity of Slackware and Vector, but I needed better package management, and package compilation. Pacman and ABS/PKGBUILD/AUR handles these beautifully!!

Like Sukie, I usually read a lot before asking a question.

printf("Hello World!!!")

#17 2007-08-12 01:04:47

jdhore

Hell, I'm a new Arch user and i have to say...I LOVE it. I think Arch combines all the concepts i like about other distros into one and makes them even better. Arch is fast, well optimized, pacman is awesome and the rolling-release schedule is a great thing that i wish i had on Debian. I've tried to help out a bit on the Wiki and i'll try to help out as much as i can here on the forums smile

#18 2007-08-17 19:54:22

itbhp

Hello everybody.

I saw this topic just a few minutes ago. I'm italian and I'm sorry for my english but you don't have to think that I will post less topic than other users because my english teachers s.... I will feel free to share with you my thoughts about this nice distro but not only lol.

big_smile

#19 2007-08-17 20:38:51

buttons

Hello!

I was a gentoo user for several years, and then some other OS, and then ubuntu.  I found I missed gentoo, but their problems and such convinced me to give Arch a shot instead.

And damned if I'm not glad I did.  This distro is simply amazing.

Cthulhu For President!

#20 2007-08-30 17:13:45

robotangel

Hi there,

it's me.. robo. My real name is Marco and I'm from a small village about 30km away from Cologne (Western Germany, in case you didn't know). Well, I just installed Arch once again (huh, I switch my distros way too much) and I hope this time Arch will be the distro that will keep longer than 3 months on my hdd. But Arch has good chances (switched from kubuntu 7.04), cause I just didn't want to upgrade to gutsy in a month (the system always feels so "dirty" then wink ), so I thought "Why not Arch again?" wink

The short form: Hello everyone *wink*

#21 2007-09-04 13:15:00

Ashren
Website

I've been using Arch for about four months until now, and I must say that arch is an amazing distro, I've been through several distros (about eleven) including Zenwalk, (X)ubuntu and VectorLinux. All of them quite good, but cumbersome to fiddle with. Then I found arch, which so very transparent to configure (most of the time anyway) and I simply love it - plus the community too.

Thanks,
Ashren, Denmark.

#22 2007-09-06 22:12:31

gunnarbot
Website

Hello!
I'm on my 4th day on Arch Linux. Been using Gentoo for a few years, but I stopped believing in that my time is worthless so I tried a few other distros.. Ended up with Arch Linux after getting a lot of good comments about it. From the experience of it I've got as of yet, I think I'm gonne be one of them telling good things about it to others in the future.

Thanks for a great a great distro and a great forum. smile
David a.k.a GunnarBot
Sweden

#23 2007-09-18 12:55:22

Kabar

Hi everyone!

I've downloaded Archlinux - "Don't Panic" a few days ago, installed it (great installer!), and got Kernel Panic at first startup big_smile   ROTFL

But now, I managed to start the system, install some stuff, configure my WLAN card, and I'm ready to say that I like Arch a lot and I really love Pacman cool

Great job Developers!

#24 2007-09-18 14:01:45

theringmaster
Website

Hello Fellow Arch Users!,

I am now an official archer. I used to use ubuntu on my machine, while admiring arch from afar (via virtualbox), but now I am 100 % arch. WOW it feels good. My computer likes a distro that is a bit light on resources. I have xfce4 (plus goodies) setup and it is pretty sweet. Maybe someday I'll get enough courage to setup conky.

Till we meet again,

The Ringmaster

Check me out on twitter!!! twitter.com/The_Ringmaster

#25 2007-09-18 17:54:07

Ashren
Website

theringmaster>> Jump right in, it's the only way to get those conky-feet wet!

Board footer