You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-10 03:43:24

Gullible Jones

Suspend kills my command line?!

Okay... Boot to CLI. Start X. Suspend with X running. Come out of suspend. Exit X. End up back at the console, right?

Wrong. No text, no command prompt, just a blank screen after X exits. Machine responds to ctrl-alt-dlt but doesn't seem to respond to anything else - hard to tell though, what with no output.

What gives?

#2 2007-06-10 09:59:26

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Suspend kills my command line?!

does the same happen if you just kill X straight away, without the suspend cycle?

What sort of suspend are you using?

suspend to ram, swsusp, uswsusp, suspend2?

How are you suspending? hibernate-scripts? other scripts? own script?

what graphics hardware?

is this a new problem? and if so, what version of the kernel? Or is it the first time you've tried?

framebuffer or normal console?

cmon man, you've been here for ages, you know the drill. Give us as much details as you can, and we can help, otherwise, we're just guessing and wasting both of our time.

James

#3 2007-06-10 12:18:19

somedrew

Are you using the nvidia framebuffer by any chance? I've had similar problems with it and suspend to ram. Vesafb works great though.

#4 2007-06-11 01:41:40

Gullible Jones

iphitus wrote:

does the same happen if you just kill X straight away, without the suspend cycle?

what graphics hardware?

is this a new problem? and if so, what version of the kernel? Or is it the first time you've tried?

cmon man, you've been here for ages, you know the drill. Give us as much details as you can, and we can help, otherwise, we're just guessing and wasting both of our time.

James

Suspend to RAM, with powersave (only one really compatible with Gnome). Intel i945 graphics, kernel26 stock (latest version), normal console. Been this way since I got suspend working properly (had to add acpi_sleep=s3_mode to menu.lst entry, otherwise monitor didn't come back on).

#5 2007-06-11 10:38:06

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Gullible Jones wrote:
iphitus wrote:

what graphics hardware?

James

Suspend to RAM, with powersave (only one really compatible with Gnome). Intel i945 graphics, kernel26 stock (latest version), normal console. Been this way since I got suspend working properly (had to add acpi_sleep=s3_mode to menu.lst entry, otherwise monitor didn't come back on).

and does it happen if you leave X (before suspending)?

try adding Option "VBERestore" "on" to the device section for your graphics, that fixed some problems with suspend on my i845 laptop. Other things worth messing with might be vbetool.

can you ssh in and see if there's anything interesting in dmesg?

is the screen blanked? or turned off? (can you see the backlight still running?)

James

#6 2007-06-11 13:55:35

Gullible Jones

Backlight still running. Happens only if I exit X after suspending. I'll try the VBERestore thing and see if that works...

#7 2007-06-11 20:25:00

Gullible Jones

No, VBERestore doesn't seem to help.

Hmm. /var/log/suspend2ram.log has a rather strange line in it...

##  stty: standard input: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Board footer