aRcHaTe

a cool tool

http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cs5tjh/GrubEd/

can some one make a PKGBUILD? thanks in advance wink

Its a sick world we live in....

#2 2007-06-12 01:56:35

Borosai

Re: a cool tool

After making this PKGBUILD, I decided not to add it to the AUR, but if someone feels inclined to do so, and it meets the requirements, go right ahead. Although the PKBUILD works, it has it's issues that I would like to point out.

First, this program doesn't have a version number... anywhere. It's just grubed. So, in order to build it, you'll have to add an arbitrary number for the pkgver=. Second, it has a custom license, but it's not included in the sources. So if you would like to submit this to the AUR, you would have to copy/paste the license from the program's webpage (http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cs5tjh/GrubEd/) to a file and name it appropriately (according to the arch packaging standards). Finally, although I have vi and diff installed, makepkg kept warning me that those dependencies weren't installed (this should be a problem on my end, but it's just a heads-up).

I believe those are the only issues I had. I didn't bother installing it since I have no use for it, but if you want to submit it to the AUR, make sure to test it first (especially the file permissions). That should be it... oh, and of course... use at your own risk. wink

pkgname=grubed
pkgver=
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A script which allows you to modify the Grub settings very easily"
url="http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cs5tjh/GrubEd/"
license=('custom')
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
makedepends=('unzip')
depends=('zenity' 'vi' 'grep' 'diff' 'patch')
source=(http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cs5tjh/GrubEd/grubed.zip)
md5sums=(d195852965a553a97258b38571d6cdf7)

build() {
    mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/bin/
    cp $startdir/src/$pkgname/$pkgname $startdir/pkg/usr/bin/

mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/boot/grub/images/
    cp $startdir/src/$pkgname/images/grubed_splash.xpm.gz $startdir/pkg/boot/grub/images/
}

#3 2007-06-12 02:53:17

aRcHaTe

hummm..i thought it was cool to be on AUR...i edit many times menu.lst..so...this cold be a help tongue...an opinion of a dev would be great smile

#4 2007-06-12 03:43:44

Borosai

Well, the main problem is that it doesn't have an actual version number, so I'm not sure how it could be made into a legit package. The license issues isn't a problem, but would require some extra work and changes to the PKGBUILD.

Have you tried it yet to see if it works properly?

#5 2007-06-12 05:05:40

aRcHaTe

pkgname=grubed
pkgver=1
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A script which allows you to modify the Grub settings very easily"
url="http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cs5tjh/GrubEd/"
license=('custom')
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
makedepends=('unzip')
depends=('zenity' 'grep' 'patch')
source=(http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cs5tjh/GrubEd/grubed.zip)
md5sums=(d195852965a553a97258b38571d6cdf7)

build() {
    mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/usr/bin/
    install $startdir/src/$pkgname/$pkgname $startdir/pkg/usr/bin/

mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/boot/grub/images/
    install $startdir/src/$pkgname/images/grubed_splash.xpm.gz $startdir/pkg/boot/grub/images/
}

weel it works..but it would be ok to change the mkdir to install -d

#6 2007-06-12 06:01:38

tomk
Forum Fellow

sickhate wrote:

an opinion of a dev would be great smile

OK then.

Anyone who has used Arch for any length of time will know that as a rule, we don't use GUIs to hide the system from the user. Indeed, many users have chosen to use Arch because of that approach, and the principles behind it. So the opinion of this dev is that GrubEd is completely unnecessary and contrary to Arch's design philosophy.

That said, you are of course free to do whatever you want with your system - if GrubEd is what you like, go ahead and enjoy it. smile

#7 2007-06-12 09:50:28

iphitus
Forum Fellow

tomk wrote:
sickhate wrote:

OK then.

Anyone who has used Arch for any length of time will know that as a rule, we don't use GUIs to hide the system from the user. Indeed, many users have chosen to use Arch because of that approach, and the principles behind it. So the opinion of this dev is that GrubEd is completely unnecessary and contrary to Arch's design philosophy.

That said, you are of course free to do whatever you want with your system - if GrubEd is what you like, go ahead and enjoy it. smile

Not contrary to design philosophy. GUI's are allowed, welcomed, and even encouraged, so long as they dont replace, supplant or interfere the standard methods.

I suppose this'll be clearer once we establish the new set of goals.

James

Last edited by iphitus (2007-06-12 09:54:33)

#8 2007-06-12 15:35:25

Borosai

GUIs aside, what's the verdict regarding the lack of version number? I assume this PKGBUILD can't be uploaded to the AUR because of it, correct? I mean, setting a random number so it will build is ok for personal use, but I don't think that meets the packaging standards.

#9 2007-06-12 17:46:41

skymt

It seems like in this case the version number should be the date the program was last updated, in YYYYMMDD format. This seems to be the convention for PKGBUILDS of unversioned development snapshots. For example, the current version would be 20070506 (May 6th, 2007).

#10 2007-06-12 19:04:59

aRcHaTe

tomk wrote:
sickhate wrote:

OK then.

how come in AUR there is somany Guis...and as i eared there was suposed to you guys launch a live cd...errr..maybe with a Gui instalations? now...that sucks tongue this is onlçy one morefree tool in AUR...im not begging to put on extra or community...NOT THAT!...and im not saying is for me to use..nano allways did the deal...i see it like murrine configurator tongue

#11 2007-06-12 19:05:37

aRcHaTe

iphitus wrote:
tomk wrote:
sickhate wrote:

OK then.

Not contrary to design philosophy. GUI's are allowed, welcomed, and even encouraged, so long as they dont replace, supplant or interfere the standard methods.

I suppose this'll be clearer once we establish the new set of goals.

James

i with you wink

#12 2007-06-12 19:16:43

Borosai

skymt wrote:

It seems like in this case the version number should be the date the program was last updated, in YYYYMMDD format. This seems to be the convention for PKGBUILDS of unversioned development snapshots. For example, the current version would be 20070506 (May 6th, 2007).

Hmmm... I guess that's the best option (probably the only one unless the author decides to release versions).

#13 2007-06-12 20:53:18

Borosai

I decided to go ahead and complete the PKGBUILD and upload it to the AUR. smile

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … 1&ID=11609

Board footer