You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-13 16:08:53

mac57
Website

Driver Bug, snd-ens1371? No Sound, SoundBlaster 4730

I have an older SoundBlaster PCI 4730 (lspci reports it as a Creative Ectiva EV1398). It *appears* to be supported by kernal module snd-ens1371, which Arch auto loads upon boot. However, I get no sound. I have checked, and all the modules load clean, all my sound devices are there, and things such as Sox's "play" command happily operate as expected... all except that I don't get any sound from the speakers.

In hunting this down on the web, I have found numerous references, mostly on the FreeBSD forums, to a bug in the snd-ens1371 module that cause register programming to fail upon initialization, leading to the very circumstance I am observing - everything *looks* right from a software perspective, just no sound.

Does anyone here know anything about this? Are there any possible patches or updates available for snd-ens1371? I am running the latest Arch 2007-05 (just loaded it last week). My machine is a legacy Pentium Pro 200 MHz, dual CPU, 128 MB RAM.

BTW, I dual boot Windows NT 4.0 on this same box, and it happily produces sound using the same card, so I know that the hardware and the speakers are working correctly.

Thanks!

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

Board footer