You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-07 05:49:19

Moo-Crumpus

localisation l18n

Hi,

I am a bit dissapointed about localisation progress of arch. If you use gnome ore kde, this packages use localisation. Some major packages don't, like openoffice, f.e., because they don't belong to kde ore gnome and won't benefit from localisations.

OpenOffice is a good example. The package maintainer says, it is hard to make a package at all, and he will never integrate other languages. Another example is the installation script. Could't a first question ask you what keymap you want to use, ore give a hint how to change it.

How can we / I add localisation?

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#2 2004-05-07 09:26:35

ganlu

Re: localisation l18n

Look at rc.conf file, it doesn't matter to change your keymap after you have installed ArchLinux. However I don't mean at all I am quite satisfied with ArchLinux's localization support. The original fonts.conf-which is included in the PKGBUILD of fontconfig2- really mess up chinese display when browing some chinese web, say, linuxsir.org.  Or problem is caused by freetype2 bytecode function, this really get me a little upset and more work to modify it.
But do not complain, do something everyone in the community can share and enjoy, I like to upload my chinese-display-opmitised package in the incoming, and some application package heavily used by chinses user, say, scim for chinese input, and I am very pleased to say ArchLinux is really great for such complilation. No dependency hell, really smooth.

#3 2004-05-07 20:04:48

Abaddon

Another example:

[root@194-4 abaddon]# pacman -Ss aspell
extra/aspell 0.50.5-1
    A Free and Open Source spell checker designed to eventually replace Ispell
extra/aspell-de 0.50-1
    German dictionary for aspell
extra/aspell-el 0.50-1
    Greek dictionary for aspell.
extra/aspell-en 0.51.0-2
    English dictionary for aspell
extra/aspell-es 0.50-2
    Spanish dictionary for aspell
extra/aspell-nl 0.50-1
    Dutch dictionary for aspell
extra/aspell-pt 0.50-1
    Portuguese dictionary for aspell
extra/aspell-ru 0.50-2
    Russian dictionary for aspell

We don't have polish dictonary for aspell...

Gnome - The weakest link!
Linux, *not* GNU/Linux!

#4 2004-05-07 22:33:05

lanrat

Well I'm just using abs for making Polish i18n for kde or aspell - It's trivial to change us or german PKGBUILDS to have a Polish package e.g.:

pkgname=aspell-pl
pkgver=0.51
pkgrel=0
pkgdesc="Polish dictionary for aspell"
depends=('aspell')
url="http://aspell.net/"
source=(http://ftp.lug.udel.edu/pub/gnu/aspell/dict/pl/$pkgname-${pkgver}-${pkgrel}.tar.bz2)
md5sums=('5435be1c9c39326a02e2798d8b4d257b')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/${pkgname}-${pkgver}-${pkgrel}
  ./configure
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
}

and i18n packages for kde are always a bit delayed (personally I don't have problems with this - abs fits great here for me) and with maintaining my own custom package I can be always up to date. As to the open office it's more OOo team problem IMO than arch's - it just needs a better standard (like kde or gnome). But I'm sure it's going to change soon...

#5 2004-05-08 04:16:34

sarah31
Website

with respect to aspell it is easy enough to make a local package. then again it is also very easy to request a package be added to the repositories. the reason certain languages are not included for some packages is thet instead of maitain every possible language package without even knowing it is being used the devs would wait for requests.

when i maintained aspell there were only a few languages i made and maintained. when people contributed new packages i added them. but  i was not very eager to maintain another ten to twenty packages just for the hell of it.

it may sound harsh but when you are one of few with lots to do every new package becomes a burden.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-05-08 10:28:16

Abaddon

So, will you add polish dictonary for aspell? pkgbuild is here... I know that I can install it with abs, but I want it in extra repository. I wish it wouldn't be big problem.

Gnome - The weakest link!
Linux, *not* GNU/Linux!

Board footer