You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-14 03:10:15

somairotevoli

*SOLVED* KDE "Run Command" Problems

When I try to launch an app using alt+F2, it wants to run the app in Konsole even though "Run in Terminal Window" is unchecked. This started after I had force quit x and logged bk in.

Last edited by somairotevoli (2007-06-16 18:12:25)

#2 2007-06-14 21:20:36

jbromley

Re: *SOLVED* KDE "Run Command" Problems

What application are you trying to run? Is it a console program or is it a GUI program? Note that launching a console program from the Run Dialog will automatically launch the program within Konsole. Is the Konsole window appearing even when you launch a GUI app?

#3 2007-06-14 22:25:06

somairotevoli

any program, pidgin, opera, azureus. Also, the icon that now shows in run, after I type in the name of the program I wish to execute, is the icon for konsole  And another thing that happened at the same time is my menus for pidgin are gone. My last update before this happend was: cairo, kernel26, and  pycairo.

Edit:  I just logged on to kde as root and everything is as it should be.. I am sure it's just a config file somewhere that needs to be fixed or deleted, I just don't know which one.

Last edited by somairotevoli (2007-06-14 22:39:58)

#4 2007-06-15 00:56:17

somairotevoli

I guess I should have mentioned I am using kdemod. I went ahead and updated kdebase from the kdemod testing repo and I thought it had been fixed since I was able to start opera from run. After that I tried starting Azurues and it happened again. Still the same problem.

#5 2007-06-15 09:17:12

jbromley

That is very odd. You are correct in that it probably just is a configuration glitch somewhere, but sometimes exactly where the glitch is is hard to find. You might try the following:

1. Log out of KDE and log into a console terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log in).
2. Rename your .kde directory to something like .kde-orig. Don't just delete it.
3. Log into KDE again and see if the problem is solved.

Note that if you do this, you'll lose any KDE customizations/configuration you might have down previously. You can either redo them, or if you are brave try to bring back the appropriate files from the renamed (old) KDE configuration. If this doesn't work, then probably something in the system KDE config is broken. I'm not too sure what you might do in that case.

Good luck and regards.

#6 2007-06-16 18:21:08

somairotevoli

Thanks jbromley, I followed your advice and made a backup of  "/home/*/.kde/share/config/" first. I "brought back" about 10 files back at a time 'till I found the culprit. Turns out it was "kdesktopprc".

Under "[MiniCli] > TerminalApps=" there were many programs listed.

I don't understand how something like this could happen as I made no changes that I am aware of.

Thanks again......

#7 2007-06-16 19:37:19

jbromley

I'm glad to hear that it worked for you. How it got into that state is another question, though. Anyway, I'm glad everything is OK now.

Regards.

Board footer