You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-14 22:14:02

jbromley

USB flash disk mount points not created [SOLVED]

I am having a problem where my USB flash disk is not always being mounted after being detected by KDE. I have just installed Arch 2007.05, updated it and installed KDEmod. Here's what happens when I plug in a device.

1. I insert the device, KDE detects the device and shows the KDE Mount Daemon dialog. "Open in New Window" or "Do Nothing" are the two available options.
2. At this point, my device shows up in system:/media (in Konqueror), but it is not mounted. When I place the cursor over the device in Konqueror a popup with the device's label and the text "Unmounted Removable Medium" appears. There is no corresponding directory in the /media directory in my file system.
3. In the KDE Daemon window I select "Do Nothing" by either double-clicking it or selecting it and clicking OK.
4, My device does not get mounted. This is annoying since most of the time I just want it mounted so I can do some command-line work.

If in the KDE Daemon window if I select "Open in New Window" the device is mounted and the corresponding directory appears in my /media directory. Also, if I select "Do Nothing" but then later navigate into the contents of the device in Konqueror, at that point the device is mounted and the corresponding directory appears in my /media directory. When my device is plugged in, but not mounted there is a "Mount" option in the right-click context menu, but I want it to automatically mount.

On my other machine with openSUSE, the drive is mounted even if you choose "Do Nothing" in the KDE Daemon window. That way seems more correct, because if I plug a device in, I most likely want it mounted. (I know there are some cases where this might not be true, but those cases are certainly not the normal use casese.) Now I have to open Konqueror just to get the drive to mount. It seems that the drive should be mounted no matter what you choose in the KDE Daemon window.

Now, is this normal KDE or Arch behavior or is it something that can be adjusted or fixed?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jbromley (2007-10-22 07:22:08)

#2 2007-06-14 22:30:18

Acid7711
Website

Re: USB flash disk mount points not created [SOLVED]

Yes, it would seem to me to be "Do Nothing" would in fact, do nothing, and that's how it operates for me under Arch. However, I would too be interested in the ability to have "Do Nothing" just mount the device, but not open a window.  A lot of the times, I just want to pop in my device and have it mounted but not have it open in Konq simply for the reason of saving something onto it in an app. 

I'm sure this can be done under HAL of some sort, I haven't dove into that full force yet to fully know how to accomplish it though.

Last edited by Acid7711 (2007-06-14 22:31:39)

#3 2007-06-15 00:08:25

jbromley

Upon second consideration, I have to say that Arch/KDE is doing exactly what you tell it - exactly nothing. I agree with you, though, most of the time I don't need Konq to do what I want, so having to open it is an extra unnecessary step. I investigated on my openSUSE system and the interesting thing is that the drive is already mounted before the KDE Daemon dialog appears. There is some kind of magic with dbus/hal/udev/other automount util going on there, but I haven't figured out exactly what is going on yet. I'll have to dive into the config on that machine to see how they're going about their mount magic.

Regards.

#4 2007-06-15 00:29:56

turing

Go to system:/media and right click on the partition you want to be mounted automatically and choose "properties". On the mounting tab you can tell KDE to mount the partition automatically. That's all.

#5 2007-06-15 09:31:43

jbromley

Turing - imagine that! For some reason it never occurred to me to check the properties of the unmounted volume. Well, you learn something every day.

In the meantime, I decided that maybe "Do Nothing" should do just that and I should perhaps add a service to mount the drive, but not bring up any windows. Here's what I did.

1. Create a mount_vol.sh shell script with the following contents.

#!/bin/bash
udi=$(dcop kded mediamanager properties $1 2>/dev/null | head -n 1)
if test -n "$udi"; then
    dcop kded mediamanager mount "$udi" >/dev/null 2>&1
fi

2. chmod +x mount_vol.sh.
3. Move the script somewhere like /usr/local/bin.
4. Plug in some removable device, in the KDE Daemon window click "Configure..."
5. In the KDE Control Module dialog that appears click "Add"
6. Give the service a name like "Mount Removable Medium", click the X icon to select a service icon, select "Unmounted Removable Medium" under "Available medium types" and click the right arrow. For the command use "/usr/local/bin/mount_vol.sh %u.
7. Click OK.

Now when the KDE Daemon action dialog appears, there will be the option to just mount it. You can of course use this same script for other medium types.

Regards.

Board footer