You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-15 21:06:07

jeremyrainman

strange/general xorg problems (nvidia)

I'm posting this from work 20 miles away from the box I'm asking about, so I do not have my xorg.conf nor the error logfile.

I tried until 2 am last night to get X working, following the wiki's advice (which is just basic Linux setup stuff, no different than the old days), but I ran into some strange snags that I cannot easily find an explanation for...

1) The command 'pacman -S hwd' told me repeatedly for hours that hwd doesn't exist in the repository. I find this strange since everyone seems to use it. I never did get it. I am using the x86_64 iso of Arch, so I supposed that was what was making the difference (perhaps it's not ported?) but I wasn't sure and couldn't find any explicit explanation for this.

2) I loaded the nvidia drivers via pacman, even tried the generic nv driver, and each attempt at testing my xorg configuration crashed with the error that the device module "nv" or "nvidia" could not be found or could not be loaded. I found this absolutely bizarre since pacman was supposed to be doing just that, right?

Any general thoughts? When I get home in 3 hours I will have more specific information on this.

#2 2007-06-15 23:33:56

mitsoko
Banned

Re: strange/general xorg problems (nvidia)

you need to install the correct nvidia package .. and the nv modules i s provided by xf86-video-nv

#3 2007-06-16 00:39:28

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

1. That's right.  hwd is not ported yet to Arch64. I don't know the specific reason but one of it's depends is also not ported so that could be the reason. I'll give it  a look.

For hardware detection, use hwdetect or lshwd

#4 2007-06-16 02:09:24

detox332

2. what card do you have? did you install nvidia while running X? did you reboot after installing driver?

Arch64
KDE4 user

#5 2007-06-16 03:11:07

jeremyrainman

raeven wrote:

you need to install the correct nvidia package .. and the nv modules i s provided by xf86-video-nv

Excellent, that did it for the nv drivers. I obviously made the bad assumption that pacman -Sy xorg would get those packages.

detox332 wrote:

2. what card do you have? did you install nvidia while running X? did you reboot after installing driver?

GeForce 8600 GT (from Frys, I can still exchange it if there's a better chipset to use). I did not install nvidia while running X. I didn't reboot actually.

Snowman wrote:

1. That's right.  hwd is not ported yet to Arch64. I don't know the specific reason but one of it's depends is also not ported so that could be the reason. I'll give it  a look.

For hardware detection, use hwdetect or lshwd

Sleep deprivation obviously got to me. I know I read about hwdetect somewhere and didn't bother to try it. bleh..

#6 2007-06-16 04:38:47

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

I gave a look. One of hwd depends, ddcxinfo-arch, doesn't build on Arch64. So better use hwdetect.

Board footer