You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-11 06:12:48

peque

Problems with VMware

I have now reinstalled my laptop 2 with ArchLinux and ending up with the same result no matter what.

I have an IBM thinkpad X60s which I use for work.
THe problem here I shall/will use vmware server and both times installed the one from AUR - but after allokating the space for a VM and starting to install Windows XP - its stops workling and freezes totally under the install of XP on missing 13minutes. and from there - I cannot go anywhere further - can't get the machine up and running.

I have another X60s with Kubuntu on ( 2 just a like machine) allso running with Vmware - and no problems there.
Have anyone a clkue about this:

Running Arch 0.8 Kernel 2.6.21
KDE

I have looked everywhere after some errors, setting etc with errors in - but nope - cannot find anyone anywhere ??
Have some of you experienced the same ???  Or even better have a golden otions for a solution

Just getting better .... All the time

#2 2007-06-16 01:59:32

jbinto

Re: Problems with VMware

Are you running AMD64?

VMWare Server will freeze on 2.6.21 amd64 kernels. Nothing you can do about it but downgrade to 2.6.20 -- this worked for me in Feisty Fawn but I have not tried it in Arch.

From gentoo-wiki: "You will experience VMM faults leading to full host lockups. This is due to the revamped IRQ structure in 2.6.21 -- VMWare expects to be able to use a certain interrupt, which is being used by kernel. No fix from VMWare as of yet. Workaround is to downgrade to 2.6.20. More info: http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/5/4/175

Last edited by jbinto (2007-06-16 02:00:33)

Board footer