You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-18 09:57:01

ravisghosh
Website

Feature request for pacman-archstats

We often find people asking questions which is the best x software, which is the most popular y soft, and stuff like that. Voting can be a good solution for this at least people will know which is the most popular one. Aurbuild has this feature where u can vote from console. If this feature can be included in pacman and made default, then we can get a good idea about how many people are using a certain software. Whenever someone installs a package, a vote is casted in favor of it and whenever it is uninstaled that vote is reversed. This will give a good idea how many people are using the particular package at a particular time.

Last edited by ravisghosh (2007-06-21 05:36:25)

#2 2007-06-18 11:53:35

KomodoDave
Website

Re: Feature request for pacman-archstats

ravisghosh wrote:

We often find people asking questions which is the best x software, which is the most popular y soft, and stuff like that. Voting can be a good solution for this at least people will know which is the most popular one. Aurbuild has this feature where u can vote from console. If this feature can be included in pacman and made default, then we can get a good idea about how many people are using a certain software. Whenever someone installs a package, a vote is casted in favor of it and whenever it is uninstaled that vote is reversed. This will give a good idea how many people are using the particular package at a particular time.

I think this is a *brilliant* idea.

- Dave

#3 2007-06-18 12:23:16

klixon

Or we could all start using archstats (check out the "packages" category)

Although that's not really rated by popularity... more as "seen in the wild..."

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#4 2007-06-18 12:26:47

chaosgeisterchen

Do you know how to handle it? There are lots of repositories - but pacman can report back to one central station. And what about the people who do not want to be monitored in their behaviours?

I think that Linux is all about freedom of choice and I am not willing to support an approach to suppress this privilege we have in comparison to Microsoft Windows users.
I feel like being monitored with WGA when using pacman under these circumstances - apart from the fact that I know what will happen to my data. I trust the Arch people, at least. But it would arouse a major privacy problem which is unnecessary.

Providing the option mentioned above optionally would be a great idea, though.

Last edited by chaosgeisterchen (2007-06-18 12:28:07)

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

#5 2007-06-18 12:43:41

klixon

Well, he did talk about "voting"... Which is something you have to actively do
And archstats has always bee voluntary. You can even disable some stats if you don't want to send them..

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#6 2007-06-18 12:59:53

chaosgeisterchen

I'm perfectly fine with archstats. Does it fulfil what the request is wanting pacman to have?

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

#7 2007-06-18 13:42:05

ravisghosh
Website

didnt knew abt archstats. its really a great thing. I guess they should make it default. the only thing is comparison is a little difficult when u have to search for pakages. It would be great if these stats are available in repository search on a browser or on console. Like if I want to know which browser is most popular, I had to search for firefox, then opera, then kazehakase, etc. and note down the popularity. If these are available in repo searches and there is a sort buttong for popularity, then its gonna be great.

Board footer