You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-18 21:59:03

Thrillhouse

Will this router work with Linux?

I will be moving in a couple of weeks and I wanted to set up a wireless network in my new house so I went and bought a wireless router from Best Buy because I had a couple of gift cards to use.  I ended up getting a Linksys WRT54G.  I got home and started reading the manuals and under Minimum Requirements it lists Windows 2000 or XP.  So I got online to see what the deal was and found the Linksys WRT54GL which is apparently "stabilized for Linux."  Does this mean that I'll have problems with the WRT54G?  I mean, I can set the router up in Windows (I'm still dual booting) but will it still be usable if I'm using Arch on a day to day basis?

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

#2 2007-06-18 22:01:29

Ramses de Norre

Re: Will this router work with Linux?

It's your network card that is important, the router is accessed via network cable and browser interface which are both OS independent.
So as long as your network card is supported you'll be able to connect to the router.

#3 2007-06-18 22:10:37

Thrillhouse

OK, well I can currently access the Internet via a wired connection so I should have no problem then, correct?

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

#4 2007-06-18 22:14:53

chaosgeisterchen

You do not have a problem and will never have. The router could run Windows as well and it would not matter as the connection between computer and router ist something platform-independent, as it happens on another layer, as mentioned already.

My router runs something linux-like (as Linksys told me - I own the annex A version of the WAG54G ADSL2+ gateway) and I have no problems with wireless and wired network. Neither under Windows nor Linux.

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

Board footer