You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-19 14:59:18

Jorsalfar

Getting an error in grub after installation

Hi

Im new to Arch Linux, and I have tried to install Arch some times now, but I never get a working bootloader.
When I have installed grub I get this error after chosing to boot Arch Linux. I have also tried lilo, but it didnt work either.

Booting "Arch Linux"

root   (hd0,4)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda5 ro
      [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1e00, size=0x1a2518]
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

Error 15: File not found

Press any key to continue...

#2 2007-06-19 20:13:05

gradgrind

Re: Getting an error in grub after installation

This may be a silly question, but have you checked whether there is a file /boot/kernel26.img? You could try kernel26fallback.img as an alternative, but if one isn't found maybe the other isn't there either.

#3 2007-06-19 23:13:09

antonik

On what partition have you installed ArchLinux? root (hd0,4) means /dev/hda5

#4 2007-06-19 23:49:31

rayjgu3

instead of reinstalling

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Res … oot_loader

reinstalling is wasting time you need to change your /boot/grub/menu.lst to correct settings
try following the directions in the link above

easiest is to boot into your normal Arch Linux using the Arch Installation CD kernel. Put the CD in the drive and reboot. When the boot: prompt comes up, boot with the CD's kernel, but specify the root partition to boot from

vmlinuz  root=/dev/sda5

if you get kernel panic its more than likely the wrong partition for root(/dev/sda5)
then boot up cd normally go to partition your drive take a look at what partition has been formated for archs root
or post your partition layout here & it will be easier to guide you through
ie:
sda1  = MS
sda5 = arch
sda6 = swap
im just guessing this is how you got it setup
heres an example of what you may have in your system

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Name         Flags      Part Type   FS Type           [Label]         Size (MB)
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sda1         Boot        Primary    NTFS              [^A]              9483.75
    sda5                       Logical    Linux ext3                         28887.19   
    sda6                       Logical    Linux swap / Solaris                1028.16

Board footer