You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-08 16:01:54

punkrockguy318
Website

Wine... With or without Windows?

Which works more effeciantly:  Wine with windows, or wine without windows?

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#2 2004-05-08 16:27:08

Zephirias

Re: Wine... With or without Windows?

I haven't tried Wine yet actually (though I plan to eventually), but I'd assume with Windows would be easier (assuming that you mean on a dual-boot disk)...

"Technically, you would only need one time traveler convention."

#3 2004-05-08 21:44:45

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

no wine, no windows is most efficient. wink

Do it all in Linux. smile

Had to post something and I've never used wine, so it couldn't be anything helpful... wink

#4 2004-05-08 21:51:06

punkrockguy318
Website

I need wine for two things...
1) Borland C++ 4.5 - I need to use it for a course I'm taking
2) Windows games!  NOLF!

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#5 2004-05-08 22:01:18

tbuitenh

Sometimes real windoze dll's work better than the wine ones. In such cases, having windows is convenient.

Borland -> do they use anything borland-specific, or could you use gcc/g++? I wouldn't use wine for something that HAS to work (work, homework...).

Windows games -> Yes, you can use wine to play minesweeper and freecell. There are really good open source implementations of these games.
Don't expect the beautiful 3d stuff to work.

I wish life was as simple as editing config files

#6 2004-05-08 23:03:51

punkrockguy318
Website

They said in bold.  Borland Turbo 4.5 is the ONLY compiler that will workk with this course.  It is very outdated, but will replaced ASAP.

Is buying WineX worth it?

What beautiful 3d games are available for linux?

#7 2004-05-09 16:26:01

Egil.B

Dosbox big_smile

#8 2004-05-09 16:58:29

punkrockguy318
Website

It's for Windows 3.1, not DOS

#9 2004-05-12 03:33:44

skoal
Website

punkrockguy318 wrote:

Which works more effeciantly:  Wine with windows, or wine without windows?

I have the latest wine installed.  I do not use the "Wine with Windows Installation".  I believe that part of the install script branch will just use some of your ".dll" and ".exe" files from the Windows partition.

In my case, I just download the ".dll" files from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/index.shtml as I need them.  I set the debug environment variable when fine tuning apps, and it will spit out the ".dll" files it's looking for.  Then, I just download that ".dll" from that website and throw it in the "c:/windows/system" path.  It removes those warnings from the debug output next time I run that app.

As far as efficiency, that question is a "catch 22".  When you use the actual ".dll" files and such from Windows itself, naturally, they should work more efficiently than a reverse engineered emulation lib.  However, you run the risk of breaking the Wine API by using the native Window ".dll" files.  So, breaking the Wine emulator for "efficiency" is hardly efficient.   But, even then, you can specify for each individual app whether or not to use native or built-in ".dll" files and such in your config file.

The moral of that story is...keep a fresh Wine only installation, and tinker with adding native ".dll" files and such as you see fit.  Then, when it breaks, you can pinpoint the problem to using one specific file.  That's what I do and it gives me the flexibility/performance I need, and it's much simpler IMHO.

#10 2004-05-12 11:05:38

punkrockguy318
Website

Thanks, I'll try it out.  I also just bought WineX 3.3.1, $15, it works nice!

Board footer