You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-21 08:24:44

cry0x

Cpufreq issues

I've been trying to use a few utilities to throttle my CPU when not in use to conserve battery power, but I'm not getting much success.

Powersaved, powernowd, and cpufreqd all do throttle my cpu, but it seems to be very sensitive. While the system is completely idle, my 1.8GHz C2D (using speedstep_centrino) will be at 900MHz. 50%, perfect, I think to myself. Yet when there is *any* load whatsoever, even a constant 3% load, my CPU is at 1.8GHz. The powersaved cpufreq utility documentation is talking about 50% jumps in CPU load until it increases cpu frequency... but that is not the case for me.

Is there some sort of tolerance setting somewhere that I'm missing?

Last edited by cry0x (2007-06-21 08:25:54)

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic funkin'?

#2 2007-06-21 09:06:46

thepizzaking

Re: Cpufreq issues

For cpufreq there is a file: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold which I assume contains the threshold before the cpu clock is incresed (mine's set at 60).  I also set /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load to 1 so that any process that has a NICE larger than 0 doesn't contribute to that threshold (mainly so I can use folding@home without it clocking up my cpu)

#3 2007-06-21 09:23:24

cry0x

It may be that the cpufreq monitor in gkrellm may be reporting the wrong frequency? when I do a

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq

(on CPU0 or CPU1) even though gkrellm is telling me that cpufreq is set at 1830MHz, this readout is telling me 1000MHz. When I open up a bunch of programs and redo that cat, it says 1830.

So perhaps it is working correctly afterall, it's just the sensor in gkrellm or conky is not reporting correctly. thepizzaking, I appreciate the input and I'll look into this further.

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic funkin'?

#4 2007-06-21 09:26:27

thepizzaking

cry0x wrote:

It may be that the cpufreq monitor in gkrellm may be reporting the wrong frequency? when I do a

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq

(on CPU0 or CPU1) even though gkrellm is telling me that cpufreq is set at 1830MHz, this readout is telling me 1000MHz. When I open up a bunch of programs and redo that cat, it says 1830.

So perhaps it is working correctly afterall, it's just the sensor in gkrellm or conky is not reporting correctly. thepizzaking, I appreciate the input and I'll look into this further.

Yes, I've noticed that at times too, though conky and the gnome applet tell me my cpu is at 2.13GHz, it's really running at 800MHz.

#5 2007-07-09 08:51:22

Ikarus

Got the same issue with the ondemand govenour, my cpu (c2d t5500) speeded up to 100% even on minimal load. Now iam using the conservative govenour and set it up via rc.local on startup. Now my cpu is speeding up only if really necessary.

#!/bin/bash
#
# /etc/rc.local: Local multi-user startup script.
#
cpufreq-set -c 0 -g conservative
cpufreq-set -c 1 -g conservative

Board footer