You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-21 14:01:20

VuDu

Applications take forever to start with user but not with root

Hello,
for a few days now I've been experiencing some delay starting my applications.
Using the gnome-menu, some panel shortcut or even from the terminal the applications take about 10secs before starting.
On the terminal I can see that clearly because I can witness the "black square" blinking a lot of times before the window shows up.
I think that it only happens with GUI applications.
If I login as root, on the terminal, the same applications start as usual.
I tested with gnome-terminal, nautilus, gedit, firefox, opera, gthumb, file-roller and all started ok with root, but not with normal user.
But not all applications get delayed, for instance eclipse, gmplayer and gimp are ok.

Those applications are "just delayed" because on GkrellM the CPU, Processes and the Disk activity are normal until just a few moments before the window pops up, all that time before the system is idle with the terminal "blinking".

This is really annoying... any ideas on what may be causing this problem?

Thanks.

#2 2007-06-22 17:47:14

mac57
Website

Re: Applications take forever to start with user but not with root

Just as a test, try creating a new userid and retest your launch speeds in the new ID. I am guessing that something is hosed up on your current ID. This would be a quick test to see if that was the case.  Make sure you add your new ID to all the expected groups (I would recommend the following groups at minimum: disk, audio, video, storage, optical and floppy).

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#3 2007-06-22 18:29:33

VuDu

Re: Applications take forever to start with user but not with root

I dunno why/how, but now things are behaving normally.
Dunno, if it was for rebooting, or -Syu'ing arch, but I'll wait for it to get slow to test it further. Thanks wink

Board footer