You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-21 14:23:14

afonic

Custom settings kernel with ABS

Hi there,

let me start by saying that I am an old Linux user but a very new Arch one! smile

I got a request by the internet cafe that I work at to run a few Counter-Strike: Source servers on two Linux machines that run Arch. My problem is that CSS servers have a think called "tickrate", and to fully initialize that I need to recompile the kernel and change a few options (for example change the system Kernel_hz to 1000MHz from the default 250). After searching the forums and read the wiki I am lost. sad

I use the abs system and try to make a new package by using the PKGBUILD file found in /var/abs/kernels/kernel26. However even though most posts state that I can change "Yes "" | make config" to "Yes "" | make menuconfig", after doing it I get the menuconfig interface but cannot edit it (I cannot move around with the keyboard everything is stuck) and I have to halt the build process by CTRL-C. If I leave the file intact I get a custom package which is in fact the same as the stock Archlinux kernel.

I tried copying my running config to ./config and editing that to fit my needs and then change the PKGBUILD line to "make oldconfig" but it didn't work. I thought of changing the stock config file but I am not sure if this is a good idea.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Your source for video guides!
My Linux reviews.
Currently using: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.5GHz, 2GB RAM, Asus P5E, nVidia Geforce 8800GTS, Arch Linux

#2 2007-06-21 16:05:42

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Custom settings kernel with ABS

Try this:
Custom Kernel Compilation with ABS

Also, kernel26ck in the extra repo is compiled with CONFIG_HZ_1000 - it might be worth a try.

#3 2007-06-21 16:35:55

nikron

I put make menuconfig right before it starts building, and that worked fine.

#4 2007-06-21 17:07:17

Martyr
Website

nikron wrote:

I put make menuconfig right before it starts building, and that worked fine.

Like this: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=9566.

#5 2007-06-26 15:03:12

afonic

Hi,

sorry to be terribly late to reply, just work was a bit too much around here. smile

The solution to my problem was simple, I had to change "Yes "" | make config" to "make menuconfig" and not "Yes "" | make menuconfig" as I was incorrectly doing. That way the menu came up and worked just fine, allowing me to change the kernel settings I needed and replace my running kernel with the new one. I start to like the Arch way. big_smile

Thanks for the help.

Your source for video guides!
My Linux reviews.
Currently using: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.5GHz, 2GB RAM, Asus P5E, nVidia Geforce 8800GTS, Arch Linux

Board footer