You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-25 06:02:05

Cotton

Disk naming

The introduction of the PATA driver has altered the way the hardware recognises disks.  Names can now change dependent on how many drives exist in a system and I'm wondering if this is a retrograde step. 

For instance, I had 3 IDE drives and a CD in a machine, booting from the third disk (sdc).  They were named as follows:

IDE naming           PATA naming
hda  (windows)     sda
hdb  (linux)           sdb
cd
hdd  (linux)           sdc

On removing the sdb drive, sdc now becomes sdb, which obviously fails to boot properly due to fstab still referring to /dev/sdc.  As far as I'm aware, rectifying that problem can only be achieved by using a rescue cd, chrooting and editing fstab.  This is dependent on a working cd drive being available.  Not a major problem, but a hassle if making frequent or more complicated changes.

Under the ide naming, disk removal would not break your system.  It seems PATA behaves similar to windows, where the drive letters alter on addition or removal of drives - an inconvenience under windows, rather than a system problem, as the OS is on the C drive.

I'm aware of persistent naming but have yet to try it.  Is this the only solution to the problem described above or have I missed something?

Board footer