You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-25 04:39:20

pedepy

Many Issues - LG T1 laptop

Hello. I ve just purchased an LG T1 express dual laptop. After removing XP and installing arch, ive come across the following problems, which may or may not be linux related. However Ive searched the web and I have found nothing to help me.

1st of all, my touchpad wasnt working. Now I know it was wokring under XP, and I *think* it was also under linux, but its hard to tell because I happen to also use an external mouse. Id still like to use my touchpad for times when bringing my mouse around wont be so convenient. Ive tried fn F5 (the touchpad on off toggle) to no avail, and tried installing synaptics but it didnt work. I tried redoing another xorg.conf with xorgconfig,  but it didnt work. I couldnt log out so I had to do ctrl alt del, and then THIS happened:

Now my display is completly borked ..... ! I get weird interlacing lines and the top part of my display is redrawn on the bottom of my lcd screen. Its worth nothing that I use 915resolution to get 1440x900. Anyways, looks like a video ram / refresh rate issue. Ive tried booting again, shutting it down for long periods of time without a battery, it just keeps doing that. Its worth nothing that IT DOES IT EVERYWHERE, BIOS INCLUDED, ALL TEXT & VIDEO MODES. When I connect an external display the image is fine, but the same image is broken again on my LCD simultaneously.

Now, on one occasion, after toying around with display drivers (vesa, i810, vga) and xrandr, I rebooted, and played with the fn F7 key combo (to switch from LCD to external display), and to my surprised I looked down to my LCD and the image was fine. I unplugged my external monitor, and went around doing stuff in kde and e17 ... I then rebooted, and ! the bios boot up screen was broken again ! ...

I know that the synaptics driver has a "SHMconfig" thing in xorg.conf that talks about shared memory ? ... but it might also be that when I ran xorgconfig the 2nd time I didnt choose the correct display rate ? Or could it be 915 resolution that messed up my video bios ?  Anyway Im gonna call tech support on monday but in the mean time id like to know what you guys think about it.

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

#2 2007-06-26 04:12:51

pedepy

Re: Many Issues - LG T1 laptop

ok the screen problem has been fixed. I think it was a 915resolution issue. Seems as tho ctrl alt del didnt run the shutdown scripts and the video bios wasnt returned to normal. If thats at all possible. Anyway, its back.

I still cant get that touchpad to work however .. Thats kinda pissing me off .. Im not home now but I know that listing devices gives me a mouse0 as a "button emulator" or something like that, mouse1 as my USB mouse (when connected - and that one works), and a mouse2, which doesn seem to point to nowhere, but would logically have to be my touchpad. Bios bootup`s last line is "mouse initialized" ...

I think ill have to *eek* boot up the XP recovery CD and see if it works there. If it dont, its a hardware issue. If it does, then linux cant read it. Ive read on the web that this laptop has the touchpad working "out of the box" on ubuntu. But I aint goint ubuntu. So ... any help ?

#3 2007-06-26 23:37:29

pedepy

Re: Many Issues - LG T1 laptop

To continue this monologue ... well the screen problem has reemerged but although the source is still unknown I kinda found ways to work around it and get it to boot properly.

Now I still dont have that touchpad .. when running with synaptics, var log xorg.0.log says that it cannot find the hardware so its unloading the driver.. maybe I need some other touchpad driver but the only thing the arch wiki says about touchpads is install synaptics ....

doesnt anyone else out there have touchpad problems ?? .......

sad

Board footer