You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-17 07:47:28

beejayzed
Website

Sound problems with arch but not ubuntu (identical alsa and kernel)

I have an Asus m2n-mx, with integrated sound ADI AD1986A, it uses the driver snd_hda_intel.
The problem is that in 2-channel mode the sound is almost too soft too hear. 4-channel mode doesn't have this problem, but changing the volume while a sound is playing causes the sound to "crash" - it mutes until the pc is rebooted.
Ubuntu doesn't have a channel selection with the stock drivers, and also has the sound crash when changing volume.

So I downloaded the latest alsa-drivers, alsa-lib, alsa-utils.

On ubuntu, the channel selection now becomes available. The key thing though is that 2-channel mode doesn't have the soft volume proble. 4-channel does have the sound crashing problem, but that doesn't really matter, as 2-channel mode is fine for me.
However, on arch, the volume remains soft in 2-channel mode.

I thought the problem may be that arch has 2.6.21, and ubuntu 2.6.20. So I booted ubuntu with arch's kernel (literally, I just booted arch with the ubuntu root). Ubuntu still has good sound.

So the problem must be the way arch is loading the module or something else.

Could anyone advise me how to load the driver the 'ubuntu way', or remove what arch is doing that may be causing a problem?

Note: For both ubuntu and arch, I ran alsaconf with the modules config files updated. They both have the same asound.state.

#2 2007-06-26 07:26:45

molni

Re: Sound problems with arch but not ubuntu (identical alsa and kernel)

I have similar problem. With my meastro3 sound card (pci card). When i boot into backtrack (or some else live distro) i can hear sound and even alsaconf can setup my card correctly. But in arch alsaconf is saying that it can configure only ISA cards and there would be trouble with PCI cards..
When I compared lsmod lists in each distros (arch vs. any live) i got the same modules loaded.  I would to say, that there is something wrong with loading these modules in arch, or UDEV is making it worse? I have no idea, because I am quite new into linux. I have tried to set in /etc/rc.conf Modules autoload to "no", but it was even worse. I am on another computrer in work, so i can not post any of my messages, like dmesg. Really any ideas? I have found one way out, but not for myself http://www.archlinux.org/news/318/

Board footer