You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-27 15:14:54

gejr

Streaming bandwidth too low?

I just tried to wget a 700mb movie from my server to my local machine. Download speeds range between 250KBps to 700KBps. It's a wireless connection between the machines. (Yea I know it's retarded, but my girlfriend won't let me have more cables than i already have;)) I guess that's the reason for the varying speed. However..shouldn't this speed be sufficient to stream an average quality (~150-200MB) Simpsons episode?

It lags a lot. Like..it stops every 5th second or so. VLC says "ffmpeg decoder error: more than 5 seconds of late video -> dropping frame (computer too slow ?)", but i refuse to believe that's the case here. It must be something with the bandwidth.

The server is mounted on my laptop with a nfs share, which i heard should be pretty fast.

I have tried asking at the IRC channel. I get the reply "it depends on what quality the movie has" and I understand this, but I don't know how to see how much quality it has, and if that could be the reason.

Please give me any thoughts, ideas etc. you can come up with.. I really don't understand why this isn't fast enough to run decently.

Thank you!

#2 2007-06-27 15:19:30

lucke

Re: Streaming bandwidth too low?

I never found a way set its value in vlc, but in mplayer you can easily set up cache size. Perhaps that would alleviate your problem.

#3 2007-06-27 18:11:22

gejr

Re: Streaming bandwidth too low?

Good idea..worked perfectly! smile Thank you very very much!.

Board footer