You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-26 20:05:00

Mikko777

ATI and TVout plus games problems

Hi,

So I really hate ATI by now but since switching to nvidia ain't and option atm I might as well ask for user input on couple of problems:

1st: Tvout, I guess to get working tvout i must use fglrx? Tvout works as clone atm but is it possible to get same extended desktop and videos playing in fullscreen tv-overlay as in windows? or atleast how to change the clone-tv-out resolution? any working configs would be appreciated.

2nd: While fglrx seems to have better fps than opensource ones, why the hell do games (nexuiz, true-combat, flightgear for one) go from 60+ fps to a crawl as soon as some otherplayer/cpu moves at screen?
Atleast tremulous works just fine.

Using amd3000 and radeon9600pro with ck kernel and usually resolution off 1680x1050 (although lowering res. doesn't seem to help at all)

Anyone else experiencing these?

PS. I could just switch to opensource ati drivers and get compiz and play in windows but then I'd still loose tvout rite? (big minus and ATI really sucks)

#2 2007-06-28 09:38:18

Mikko777

Re: ATI and TVout plus games problems

Mikko777 wrote:

1st: Tvout, I guess to get working tvout i must use fglrx? Tvout works as clone atm but is it possible to get same extended desktop and videos playing in fullscreen tv-overlay as in windows? or atleast how to change the clone-tv-out resolution? any working configs would be appreciated.

2nd: While fglrx seems to have better fps than opensource ones, why the hell do games (nexuiz, true-combat, flightgear for one) go from 60+ fps to a crawl as soon as some otherplayer/cpu moves at screen?
Atleast tremulous works just fine.

Well nevermind my ranting, The more i use linux the more angry i get that things ain't up to windows level hmm

Answering myself:

1st: for tvout must use fglrx or opensource drivers with crappy apps like atitvout or gatos. so basically its fglrx only and even that ain't too shabby.

2nd: No idea, just a crappy driver I think.

3rd: No compiz without xgl and xgl just plain sux (xfreezes, kernel panicks with opengl apps, not possible to spawn another x screen?)

So in short buy nvidia / intel.

Board footer