update xfree 4.3 and gtk problem

I have 2 problem after update from pacman -Syu:
1. the font in the gtk application is disappeared. gftp, rox, xchat and more
    see example: http://web.ntrade.it/shot/gftp.jpg
    and gnome 2.2 d'ont work.

2. The vmware start error:
$ vmware
XIO:  fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server ":0.0"
      after 3797 requests (3796 known processed) with 27 events remaining.

someone has some idea. Tanks for help

#2 2003-03-03 22:51:46

elanthis
Website

Re: update xfree 4.3 and gtk problem

try upgrading again - make sure you get xfree86 4.3 with the upgrade; the latest gtk2.2 and pango packages should play with that.

Also, try running fc-cache -f -v as root, and deleting ~/.fc-cache as your user.

What?

#3 2003-03-03 23:34:37

ziociano

elanthis wrote:

try upgrading again - make sure you get xfree86 4.3 with the upgrade; the latest gtk2.2 and pango packages should play with that.

Yes is ok.

Also, try running fc-cache -f -v as root, and deleting ~/.fc-cache as your user.

No the problem remain.
The "~/.fc-cache" is not present.
tanks.

#4 2003-03-03 23:58:04

BluPhoenyx

For some reason, on some systems this happens. You can generate these yourself. Before you do though make sure the system is ready. I mean make sure you have access to all the fonts you want to use. You can use TTF and Type1 for Xft. To generate the fonts.cache-1 file, as root type fc-cache

BluPhoenyx

#5 2003-03-04 00:17:05

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Try re-installing gtk2 and pango again.

# pacman -Sy pango gtk2

#6 2003-03-04 07:14:39

ziociano

apeiro wrote:

Try re-installing gtk2 and pango again.

# pacman -Sy pango gtk2

Yes!!! Now work fine, only "vmware" not work.

#7 2003-03-04 09:03:00

BluPhoenyx

I haven't played with my vmware much on a running AL system although I use it for running tests with AL on another system. Anyhow, did you try re-running the vmware-config program  just to see if rebuilding the modules helps?

BluPhoenyx

#8 2003-03-04 11:10:40

ziociano

BluPhoenyx wrote:

I haven't played with my vmware much on a running AL system although I use it for running tests with AL on another system. Anyhow, did you try re-running the vmware-config program  just to see if rebuilding the modules helps?

Yes. re-running the vmware-config.
vmware start "for little moments" and crash.

But i have found this doc:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=it&l … schman.org
I do not know like compiling. Need help.

#9 2003-03-06 00:24:51

BluPhoenyx

Give me a bit and I'll get back to you here. I've got to put my vmware on this system to test things out and I'll let you know more if possible.

BluPhoenyx

#10 2003-03-06 06:48:20

BluPhoenyx

Ok. I thought I'd check this with the X (ver 4.3.0-2) I have installed before downloading the updates for my systems (which may take some time.) So far, from a clean install and having the init hacks in place, vmware installed and seems to run fine. I will try this again after I get whatever files I must have via ftp but I'm on a 56k ISP so it will be at least late tomorrow for sure.

You might try re-installing from the tarball although I don't know how much difference this will make. Unfortunately, there is no uninstall option for the non-rpm install method.

FWIW, the init hacks mentioned in the other vmware install text are simply to fool the installer. IIRC, the config never touches them at any later date. All vmware needs for proper operation is the daemon run at startup and properly compiled modules. With this in mind, it might be possible to create a pacman PKGBUILD file than can install the program. This is simply an excercise in logic as they are developing version 4 which is in beta release right now.

BluPhoenyx

#11 2003-03-06 08:10:23

ziociano

BluPhoenyx wrote:

You might try re-installing from the tarball although I don't know how much difference this will make. Unfortunately, there is no uninstall option for the non-rpm install method.

Yes. I try it but no success.

FWIW, the init hacks mentioned in the other vmware install text are simply to fool the installer. IIRC, the config never touches them at any later date. All vmware needs for proper operation is the daemon run at startup and properly compiled modules. With this in mind, it might be possible to create a pacman PKGBUILD file than can install the program. This is simply an excercise in logic as they are developing version 4 which is in beta release right now.

Ok. to wait the v.4.
I solved the problem compiling the "q.c"  (previus post) and work fine.
Tanks and sorry for my orrible english.

#12 2003-03-07 01:20:16

BluPhoenyx

Well, it motivated me a little to move a few items forward on my list. IE, installing vmware on this system and the latest updates so it was not a problem really. This info will still come in handy for some people.

IMHO, the big problem with vmware 3.x (and perhaps 4) is it's RedHat centric. Even the install and daemon scripts don't like other environments. The configuration doesn't support gcc 3.x but it has a bug so the modules still compile on AL (mine defaults to 486 code though.) The other problem I have is it's not really devfsd friendly. Unless you plan on creating the device entries every boot or use the devfsd save option vmware thinks it's not properly configured.

BluPhoenyx

#13 2003-03-08 09:26:46

BluPhoenyx

This is just a small update regarding vmware. The aforementioned fix is only a partial solution. There are still problems while using it. I was unable to open the 'wizard' which can generate a base machine setup. I also had some problems with the emulated system. I would advise caution if using this with an emulated system which may contain valuable data. Of course, YMMV.

On a slightly better note. The beta 4 seems to address the issues I had while configuring and running vmware. It still doesn't like the compiler but it will let you continue to use it. At least this time the 'bug' in the compiler test is gone (or dormant.) There is still the RedHat centric setup but that is easy to get around. I still haven't found out yet if it's devfsd friendlier either. My setup still saves the old devfs entries. The only real problem for me is justifying the upgrade.

BluPhoenyx

Board footer