You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-04 02:02:06

_adam_

quick sshd configuration question

in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, should the line:

ListenAddress 0.0.0.0

be changed to the address which eth0 is configured to? e.g. 192.168.1.2?

it works with 0.0.0.0 but i've heard that sshd will ignore tcpwrappers if left at 0.0.0.0

#2 2007-07-04 02:46:53

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: quick sshd configuration question

if you do 0.0.0.0. ssh will listen on all addresses (like for each interface). If you put in a single address, it just binds to that ip.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2007-07-04 16:32:56

Pudge
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Yes, ListenAddress 0.0.0.0 does interfere with tcpwrappers.

Now that you have ssh working, if you have multiple Linux computers on your home LAN, be sure to install sshfs and play around with it.  For a home network, sshfs is really cool.

Pudge

Last edited by Pudge (2007-07-04 16:50:10)

#4 2007-07-05 08:03:11

_adam_

Actually from the testing i have done, leaving sshd(4.6p1-4) at 0.0.0.0 doesn't bypass tcp_wrappers(7.6-6). At first I thought it was because denyhosts was adding bad IPs in hosts.deny but the crackers were still hammering away at my machine. It turned out to be a faulty configuration.

My solution for any other newbies out there:  I learned that hosts_access files don't work like I thought they did. I had "sshd: ALL: ALLOW"(since I never know where I might be connecting from) in my /etc/hosts.allow file with denyhosts adding bad IPs in hosts.deny. My first impression was that tcp_wrappers checks hosts.allow and THEN checks hosts.deny, but I have since learned thats not true. If it finds a match in hosts.allow, it just lets it on through. My solution was simple enough though: Remove my sshd line from hosts.allow, then comment out the "ALL: ALL: DENY" line in hosts.deny and replace it with "ALL EXCEPT sshd: ALL: DENY".  Now the crackers are stopped immediately after denyhosts scans the logs and adds the ip to hosts.deny.

Pudge wrote:

Now that you have ssh working, if you have multiple Linux computers on your home LAN, be sure to install sshfs and play around with it.  For a home network, sshfs is really cool.

ha I've actually been using ssh for a while but I just recently realized I had left myself wide open for dict attacks big_smile. Luckily though no one ever got in thanks to a locked down sshd_config.

Board footer