You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-04 18:38:17

RobF

How do I wake up Dell Inspiron 6400 after closing the lid? [SOLVED]

I'm running Arch on a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop (same as Inspiron e1505).  When I close the top to an angle of less than about 30 degrees, the machine goes into some kind of sleep state and Arch is suspended (black screen, no response to anything).  It may be easy to wake up Windows from such a condition but what must I do get Arch back and working, short of having to reboot?

Last edited by RobF (2007-07-05 20:08:41)

#2 2007-07-04 20:05:36

zeus
Website

Re: How do I wake up Dell Inspiron 6400 after closing the lid? [SOLVED]

#3 2007-07-05 03:00:25

RobF

Zeus wrote:

When you close your notebook lid, monitor still on or monitor does't turn on when you open lid - add this code /etc/acpi/actions/lm_lid.sh

#!/bin/bash
if [ ! "$(cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state | grep open)" = "" ];
  then vbetool dpms on
  else vbetool dpms off
fi

I probably don't understand correctly what I need to do.  I installed vbetool, cut and pasted the above script, saved it as lm_lid.sh, made it executable, put it in /etc/acpi/actions/ (I had to create the /etc/acpi/.. directory) and ran (without errors or messages)

# sh /etc/acpi/actions/lm_lid.sh

When I closed the lid, the screen blanked as usual, but when I reopened the lid, the screen also remained blank as usual, i.e. nothing had changed.  Since I was still in a root console, I was able to turn the screen on again by blindly typing

vbetool dpms on <Enter>

What am I doing wrong?  Is it that acpi isn't on in my system?

#4 2007-07-05 03:29:06

thayer
Fellow
Website

RobF, it's hard to say, without knowing what your setup is... GNOME, KDE? Any power management software installed such as Powersaved or hibernation scripts? 

If you're still having troubles with it, check out the Inspiron 6400 wiki I've been working on.  It includes step-by-step instructions on setting up hibernation/suspend features and I can verify it works on my own 6400.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_Inspiron_6400

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-07-05 03:58:37)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#5 2007-07-05 05:17:35

RobF

thayer.w wrote:

RobF, it's hard to say, without knowing what your setup is... GNOME, KDE? Any power management software installed such as Powersaved or hibernation scripts? 

If you're still having troubles with it, check out the Inspiron 6400 wiki I've been working on.  It includes step-by-step instructions on setting up hibernation/suspend features and I can verify it works on my own 6400.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_Inspiron_6400

I'm using KDE, and I haven't specifically installed any power management software aside from what came with the Arch base install and KDE.

I went through your Dell Inspiron 6400 Wiki (great work! I'll add to it) and installed acpid and powersave and hoped to install kpowersave or kpowersave-devel but neither of these will compile.  kpowersave requires unsermake-svn but unsermake-svn will not compile because of the error: "unsermake-svn is not available for the 'i686' architecture," and: "Note that many packages may need a line added to their PKGBUILD such as arch=('i686')."  So much about that.

Trying to build the package kpowersave-devel also aborts with the error:
Checking for Qt... configure: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.2 and < 4.0) (headers an .....  r installation!
For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log.
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
==> ERROR: Build Failed.  Aborting...
So much about that.

About kpowersave-devel, srabd commented a month ago: "It doesn't compile now, but compiles if you use unsermake instead of make in the two final lines."  Wonderful!  But as I reported above, "unsermake-svn is not available for the 'i686' architecture."

I seem to be stuck.  Any ideas how I can get around this?

Robert

#6 2007-07-05 09:46:13

zeus
Website

RobF wrote:

Zeus wrote:

When you close your notebook lid, monitor still on or monitor does't turn on when you open lid - add this code /etc/acpi/actions/lm_lid.sh

#!/bin/bash
if [ ! "$(cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state | grep open)" = "" ];
  then vbetool dpms on
  else vbetool dpms off
fi

I probably don't understand correctly what I need to do.  I installed vbetool, cut and pasted the above script, saved it as lm_lid.sh, made it executable, put it in /etc/acpi/actions/ (I had to create the /etc/acpi/.. directory) and ran (without errors or messages)

# sh /etc/acpi/actions/lm_lid.sh

When I closed the lid, the screen blanked as usual, but when I reopened the lid, the screen also remained blank as usual, i.e. nothing had changed.  Since I was still in a root console, I was able to turn the screen on again by blindly typing

vbetool dpms on <Enter>

What am I doing wrong?  Is it that acpi isn't on in my system?

check that you have acpi daemon started

#7 2007-07-05 15:37:22

RobF

zeus wrote:

I've installed acpid and powersave now, put acpid in the daemons list in rc.conf and verified that it's running (it's listed in the process table).  Still, the same thing happens: close lid, screen blanks, open lid, screen remains black (but I can bring it back by running # vbetool dpms on).  And nothing happens either after I explicitly run # sh /etc/acpi/actions/lm_lid.sh.

Am I still missing something?

Robert

#8 2007-07-05 17:06:24

RobF

zeus wrote:

It turns out that having acpid alone running isn't sufficient, one has to have powersaved running, too (with acpid and hal removed from the daemons list via !).  When both are running (and without having kpowersave or gnome-power-manager installed), blanking and restoring the screen are working now when I close and then reopen the lid.

The lm_lid.sh script doesn't seem to be necessary. I moved it to /etc/ (i.e. /etc/acpi/actions/ is empty now) and the close/open lid behavior is just as I described above.

Has anyone got kpowersave or kpowersave-devel to work?  Could I use gnome-power-manager to manage power in a KDE system?

Robert

#9 2007-07-05 18:53:16

zeus
Website

RobF wrote:
zeus wrote:

I've installed acpid and powersave now, put acpid in the daemons list in rc.conf and verified that it's running (it's listed in the process table).  Still, the same thing happens: close lid, screen blanks, open lid, screen remains black (but I can bring it back by running # vbetool dpms on).  And nothing happens either after I explicitly run # sh /etc/acpi/actions/lm_lid.sh.

Am I still missing something?

Robert

try to put this to rc.conf

MODULES=(... ac battery button thermal ...)

and check that  /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state exists after that

#10 2007-07-05 20:08:03

RobF

Thanks, Zeus, for your help.  It looks as though you missed my post from today, 11:06, in which I explained how I solved this problem.

The various processes that you referred to all exist and the /proc directory contains state files with valid values for all of them, without my needing to put them separately into the daemons list in rc.conf.  I'm assuming that acpid and/or powersave automatically took care of all of that.

Robert

Board footer