You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-05 21:00:12

MrFuji

removed glibc

So... I've recently had some problems with compiling packages fro the AUR. After a little bit of research I found out that it could be glib relatetd.
As I was using glibc from testing I wanted to downgrade it. And that's were everything got really, REALLY complicated. I thought that I could just deinstall it, and then install the old version. Apparently, I was mistaken... Nothing worked afterwards, not even pacman and after a restart I ended up in a Kernel Panic...
Any ideas on how to get my glibc package back...? Boot from arch cd and install it?

Oh my... now that after I wanted to full-time use arch....

#2 2007-07-05 21:22:49

mucknert

Re: removed glibc

Two questions arise: why are you even using testing? Current should be enough for everyone that is not a Developer. Second: why did you delete glibc? You could have just disabled testing and then downgrade with pacman -S glibc

Now, reinstallation would be the best way around that misery. You could boot from a CD and chroot into your installation to put a stable glibc on it but given that you actually deleted glibc without thinking about the consequences tells me that you are not up to the task. No offense but you got to learn a few do's and dont's first. wink I'd say: reinstall and next time think before you act.

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#3 2007-07-05 21:30:43

MrFuji

Ok, thanks...
So there's no other way but a reinstall...
Guess I'll just try to put glibc on my installation (it's borked anyway) if if I don't succeed I'll reinstall completely wink

At least now I know that I shouldn't remove a hold package...

#4 2007-07-05 23:02:36

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

MrFuji wrote:

Ok, thanks...
So there's no other way but a reinstall...
Guess I'll just try to put glibc on my installation (it's borked anyway) if if I don't succeed I'll reinstall completely wink

At least now I know that I shouldn't remove a hold package...

You can remove packages, but some are more important than others, and bring more serious consequences. wink
mucknert has it right though; Next time just disable testing repos, update and reinstall.

#5 2007-07-05 23:37:33

lucke

I think booting from a LiveCD and copying contents of unpacked glibc...pkg.tar.gz to its destination or using pacman.static should work. No need to reinstall.

That's the beauty of GNU/Linux and even more of Arch. Considering only my household I went through /arch/setup only once, while I have three Arch installations in this apartment, I messed up pacman's database twice or thrice, changed the disks holding root partition a few times and one whole set of hardware once as well. Try that with Windows or even less transparent distros.

Last edited by lucke (2007-07-05 23:47:54)

#6 2007-07-05 23:51:26

MrFuji

Care explaining that a bit further?
What I've already tried was to boot with the arch install disc and mount my arch partition.
But when tried to chroot /mnt it said '/bin/bash' no such file or directory...

Already found the glibc2.6-4.pkg.tar.gz though. So how exactly would I unpack it?

Or, if the pacman.static method would be easier, how to do that? Follow the wiki 'Install Arch from within another distro' basically, without installing everything?

Well, a reinstall might be easier but it's not nearly as much fun big_smile

#7 2007-07-06 10:01:02

MrFuji

Guys... I just love pacman.static wink
Arch is working now... at the moment, I don't have any network devices but I'm sure I'll get that sorted!

Ok, everythings functional now big_smile

Last edited by MrFuji (2007-07-06 10:04:39)

Board footer