You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-01 15:47:23

madeye
Website

[Solved]Accent keys not working correctly in kde

I've run into a little trouble with kde. It will not use the accent keys on my keyboard. when I press the ' key and afterwards e, it pauses after the first keypress, like it's supposed to do, but after the second keypress it only displays the character without the accent.
E.g René will be displayed Rene.

The funny thing about this is that while at the kdm login prompt the keys work OK, and if I startup xfce, everything works fine there too. Even if I startup mousepad from kde, then the keys work fine too!?

The keyboard section in my xorg.conf file looks like this.

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option        "XkbModel" "logiitc"
    Option      "XkbLayout" "dk"
#    Option      "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

But because the keyboard works as it should in both the kdm login prompt and xfce I would think that every thing is OK with xorg.conf.

I have tried setting up the keyboard in the kde control panel, but none of the variations I have tried changes anything. Well not for the better anyway.

I thought maybe I had setup the locale wrong, but they're set to en_DK and en_DK.UTF-8 in /etc/locale.gen.
Running locale-gen doesn't change anything. (I didn't think it would, but just to cover all possibilities).

Is there perhaps a kde package I need to install to activate the keys the way I want to?
I'm a bit confused. I have never had any trouble with this before. And needless to say that my fedora install doesn't have this problem.
I even tried using the settings from there. Actually they're the same like the ones I'm using now in my arch setup.

Last edited by madeye (2007-07-06 18:08:44)

MadEye | Registered Linux user #167944 since 2000-02-28 | Homepage

#2 2007-07-02 14:14:46

madeye
Website

Re: [Solved]Accent keys not working correctly in kde

OK, I've managed to find some more information on the subject. It seems it's a problem related to the QT library. I found this bug-report on the Scribus webpage mentioning the same trouble.
http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1908

Does anyone have any idea about this "immqt" thing? Is there a way to disable it in arch? (I don't really know what immqt is, is it a library? Or a compile setting?)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#3 2007-07-06 18:07:49

madeye
Website

Re: [Solved]Accent keys not working correctly in kde

I finally found a solution for this little annoyance. Actually it's more like a workaround, but who cares. I have my keys back the way I need them. big_smile

It seems that kde bases it's behavior on the locale set in rc.conf, and if I set my locale there to da_DK.UTF-8 instead of en_DK.UTF-8 everything works fine. Except of course that my console now outputs some of the text in danish. Yikes, that's ugly. tongue
I can live with that for now though. wink

Board footer