You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-04 13:49:26

lumiwa

broadband router

Hi!

I have an D-Link ethernet broadband router connected to my computer and to the wife with wires. We have a cable internet.
We like to buy a wireless broadband router. And now is a problem: Do we need to buy a wireless cards or is possible to do something different? I look for Netgear.

Thanks...

#2 2007-07-04 14:26:13

Ramses de Norre

Re: broadband router

A computer can't connect to a wireless router without a wireless card...

#3 2007-07-04 14:26:36

tomk
Forum Fellow

Well, there would be no point in buying a wireless router if you don't also buy either wireless cards(PCI or Cardbus), or wireless USB adapters. Does that help?

#4 2007-07-04 21:17:59

lumiwa

tomk wrote:

Well, there would be no point in buying a wireless router if you don't also buy either wireless cards(PCI or Cardbus), or wireless USB adapters. Does that help?

Wireless USB adapters? I need to find more information... 

I didn't wrote a lot before about our problem:

we have cable modem which is not wireless. We both have ethernet cards and router. Problem is because we moved in the new house and we don't wanted wires everywhere but at the same time we are looking for non expensive variant. In case that we keep the modem and buy the wireless router and wireless cards...what card would be the best for me (arch Linux) that I wouldn't have a lot of problems, please? My wife has Windows (laptop).Thanks...

#5 2007-07-04 21:20:09

tomk
Forum Fellow

There's a wifi page in the wiki - have you looked there yet?

#6 2007-07-07 23:52:36

paulr

lumiwa wrote:
tomk wrote:

Wireless USB adapters? I need to find more information... 

I didn't wrote a lot before about our problem:

we have cable modem which is not wireless. We both have ethernet cards and router. Problem is because we moved in the new house and we don't wanted wires everywhere but at the same time we are looking for non expensive variant. In case that we keep the modem and buy the wireless router and wireless cards...what card would be the best for me (arch Linux) that I wouldn't have a lot of problems, please? My wife has Windows (laptop).Thanks...

Most Wireless routers are designed to run with ADSL Broadband. You need to check your wireless router is compatible with your cable modem - your cable supplier (you  get CableTV and your internet connection together ?) may be able to supply one that is easily set up. This may be a more expensive but saves you the hassle of compatibility checks and setting it up.

There are Wiki pages and Web pages stating which cards work and which don't. If you tell your supplier that it is for Linux, and  ask if you can bring it back if it doesn't work, should be okay.

Board footer