You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-03 21:06:00

azwethinkweiz

Can not sync any database in pacman after new install

I've been trying to  install Arch using the 2007.05 base iso. Ive never had any problems before installing Arch but I havent done it for a while and maybe Im messing up somewhere. Basically I install everything, base packages, kernel, bootloader...then when I try to run pacman -Syu after that i get this...

...Syncronizing package databases...

error: failed retireving file 'current.db.tar.gz' from: No ssuch file or directory
error: failed to syncronize current: No such file or directory
error: failed to syncronize any databases

If I run pacman -S gnome it comes up with only icon themes and what not for a total package size of around 3mb...which is definately not all of gnome.
pacman -S gnome-extras sends back gnome-extras not found in sync db
pacman -S xorg comes back with a package size of about 22mb which may or may not be about right Im not sure

Can anyone tell me if I'm missing a step of configuring something wrong? Generally speaking I dont even selct a default pacman mirror during install I just let it use whatever it defaults to, but since I was having issues I tried several differant pacman mirrors and finnally the archlinux.org mirror hoping it would work even if it was slow because it's throttled.  I'm stuck in this posistion because I decided after enoragement from a friend to try Ubuntu. Which was ok...but I just miss having arch way too much.

"The hardest thing is rendering a moment moving to fast to endure"

#2 2007-07-05 05:46:25

prosacpils666

Re: Can not sync any database in pacman after new install

had the same problem, solved when i choose other mirror, try using another mirror

#3 2007-07-05 05:53:37

azwethinkweiz

Ive tried a couple differant ones but Ill try again

#4 2007-07-05 09:40:16

klixon

azwethinkweiz wrote:

error: failed retireving file 'current.db.tar.gz' from: No ssuch file or directory

This doesn't look right... I think there should be a name of a mirror following "from"
Are you sure /etc/pacman.conf isn't at fault here?
Does the include line for the current-mirror look right? It is not commented out?

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#5 2007-07-05 21:43:08

azwethinkweiz

No Im not sure that its not /etc/pacman.conf...but I dont think so.  Also I had this problem with community before it was with current...and I checked the mirrors for all the repos and all of the servers are uncommented. This has indeed proven to quite a strange problem. But I hope someone can help me, because I cant survive on Ubuntu :-P...its a decent distro but there's only one Arch.

Also Im not really sure what to look for in pacman.conf, other than I can tell all of the repos are uncommented, including testing and unstable because I opened them myself after all these problems and it made no differance. Im in New Mexico if anyone knows or could suggest the closest mirror??

Last edited by azwethinkweiz (2007-07-05 21:45:12)

#6 2007-07-05 22:50:44

klixon

you could post it here. Then we all can have a look-see smile
is the rankmirrors script not working for you? That should sort the mirrors by speed

Last edited by klixon (2007-07-05 22:51:41)

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#7 2007-07-06 06:34:26

Preacher

Once you have resolved the  sync problems, it may be worth using WGET for downloading.  Read this wiki

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Imp … erformance

Obviously you still need to find the best mirrors.

To be a preacher requires two apparently contradictory qualities: confidence and humility.

#8 2007-07-06 20:35:25

azwethinkweiz

klixon wrote:

you could post it here. Then we all can have a look-see smile
is the rankmirrors script not working for you? That should sort the mirrors by speed

Well I would indeed post it here except Im trying to install it on THIS machine hehe. SO that makes it a little tough. I've gone over it on the phone with a friend and he seems to think pacman.conf is ok. Communtiy, current, and extra are all uncommented in the file. Which should be all I need for  an install right? I usually open up testing and unstable after install but have never needed to before that.

But here's the catch, yesterday I tried the install again. Using the ping command the only thing Im getting responses from now is 192.168.0.1 (my router). I tried google and 4.2.2.2 and wasnt able to ping either. This leads me to believe now that there is some issue with my internet or possibly the DNS. /etc/resolv.conf is configured exactly as I always have had it on Arch.

#9 2007-07-06 20:37:38

azwethinkweiz

klixon wrote:
azwethinkweiz wrote:

This doesn't look right... I think there should be a name of a mirror following "from"
Are you sure /etc/pacman.conf isn't at fault here?
Does the include line for the current-mirror look right? It is not commented out?

I forgot to mention that also. It does say failed retrieving current....from 'such and such a mirror'. It has a line for EVERY mirror than the last line states no such file or directory

#10 2007-07-07 19:59:16

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Sounds to me like your network is just not quite configured right.
Are you using DHCP or static? If static, did you remove the "!" from the ROUTES="!GATEWAY" line in rc.conf?
Did you add nameservers and search to resolv.conf?
Double check /etc/rc.conf, /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf ?

#11 2007-07-08 06:00:09

ataraxia

I had this happen to me once recently. When the machine booted, my static network config didn't create the default route for some reason. I restarted the network (with the init script) and it worked fine the second time. I never saw it before or since. A real head scratcher.

Board footer