You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-09 00:41:13

nilsHaus

Connecting to windows network

I'm about to try to download Samba, but i have no clue how to get it started (I know I should probably try it before i ask questions, but hey, if theres anything I can break, tell me.)

First of all, is it available on pacman?
As a sidenote, how do you get "uninstall" packages?

#2 2007-07-09 01:48:29

Zaffe

Re: Connecting to windows network

Installing samba:
pacman -Syu
pacman -S samba

Removing packages:
pacman -Rcns name

Wiki Samba -> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba

Last edited by Zaffe (2007-07-09 01:50:32)

#3 2007-07-09 15:08:19

nilsHaus

Login on a windows network requires a username and password, and I have no idea how to add users (smbpasswd -a <username> does not work. It says failed to rename password or summat). Are these users distinct from the users on the linux box? Do they have to be added to a group (every user on the linux box should be in the 'network' group already). But I'm excited I actually got it to show up in Windows hahaha

#4 2007-07-10 17:05:26

madeye
Website

If you need to access a linux samba share from a windows computer, you need to create a samba user with the same username and password as on the windows machine. And for that you also need a linux user with the same username. This user must have permission to read and/or write the directories on the linux machine that are to be shared.
The linux users password is not important if the user will only have access via the network to the shares, and should then be set to something really secure. (well, all passwords should be secure, but if noone needs to login, you can even make it one that is hard to remember)
After the linux user has been setup, use
smbpasswd -a <username>
to add the samba user. And supply the password (equal to the windows password) when asked for it.

That should be it. Then you should be able to access the samba shares from the windows machine.

Let me know if I've misunderstood what you are trying to do, and I'll see what else we can work out.

EDIT: You must run the above command as root, else you won't have access to the smbuser database.

Last edited by madeye (2007-07-10 17:07:18)

MadEye | Registered Linux user #167944 since 2000-02-28 | Homepage

Board footer