You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-10 13:03:37

Dheart

Several ReiserFS related questions.

First:
I read somewhere, that the default kernel didn't support ReiserFS and that for the ReiserFS support you need the -beyond kernel. but in [url=http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Using_the_quickinst_Script_to_Install_Arch_Linux]Using the quickinst Script to Install arch[/guide] such thing is not mentioned.
Second:
What type of filesystem creates mkreiserfs: Reiser3 or Reiser4.
Third:
Can I choose Reiser4 as my filesystem at the partitioning dialog during setup (and what type of kernel do I need)

Well... I think that were the questions... If something else comes to my mind I'll ask it in that tread.

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#2 2007-07-10 13:13:58

sula

Re: Several ReiserFS related questions.

ReiserFS is this what you call Reiser3 and it is supported by default kernel. Resier4 is NOT supported by default kernel as far as i know so you will need other. -beyond is discountinued so i would try something else

#3 2007-07-10 14:23:51

oseb

kernel26mm support reiser4.

#4 2007-07-10 15:51:42

Dheart

So in order to make direct install with reiser4 I should:
First: Build and make pkg.tar.gz of the mm kernel.
Second: Include it in the installation medium.
Third: Edit the installation tools so that the partitioner lets me format the filesystem in reiser4.
Fourth: A little pacman hacking so that I can include my package and choose it as kernel.
Very easy... Just someone help me with steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 smile

#5 2007-07-10 17:24:27

lucke

You could for example install a base system on any filesystem, install kernel with reiser4 support, get a livecd with reiser4 support, boot it, tar up your root partition on some other partition, reformat with reiser4, untar, change fstab and add "reiser4" to mkinitcpio.conf, reboot into your fresh reiser4 root.

I'm not sure if reiser4 is worth such effort. If you're stuck on going with reiser4, you might give cryptcompress a spin.

Last edited by lucke (2007-07-10 17:25:36)

#6 2007-07-10 18:15:50

paulr

The default kernel supports Reiserfs 3 just fine - my system runs all on ReiserFS except for the /boot partition (force of habit from somewhere). I think that you need -beyond or a similar patched kernel for ReiserFS 4.

mkeiserfs creates a Reiser3 partition (if you use the current install cd everywhere it talks about reiserfs it means version 3). I think there's a special app that creats rfs4.

No,  you can't select RFS4 at setup. The option is "reiserfs" and this is v3.

Given you are not an expert (guessing from your questions), I would be very wary of installing RFS4. Either use Reiserfs 3 or ext3 as you feel happiest with.

#7 2007-07-10 18:40:26

Dheart

Well... Since I'm planning a complete reinstall of my system I guess I'll try reiser4.
I think http://www.sabayonlinux.org/ can help with the partition reformating since it uses natively reiser4... So:
Part one installation of base system + reiser4 enabled kernel.
Part two tar.gz everything.
Part three boot live cd and using reiser4
Part four tar -xvf the backup
Part five pray to god everything went right.

Board footer