You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-15 10:02:45

cry0x

DVD Playback Issues (solved)

I'm running the GNOME desktop, with HAL, dbus, the whole thing. Yesterday I wanted to watch a DVD movie, so I did the routine pacman -S libdvdread libdvdcss. Insert DVD, open up VLC. Hmm.. nothing happens. VLC is saying that it's an audio CD.

pacman -S totem-xine. Ahh, here we go... better error message. "The source seems encrypted, and can't be read. Are you trying to play an encrypted DVD without libdvdcss?" Just in case I missed something, I make sure that libdvdcss is installed. It is. Using other media players, such as mplayer and pure xine, I get error messages about /dev/sr0 not having a DVD inserted.

My account is a member of the optical group, though I get the same issue as root so it's not a permission problem. Feeling that it was a HAL issue, I stopped HAL and mounted the DVD normally as /dev/dvd. Same issues.

It's not the disc, as I get the same error with any DVD I try... also last week when I was running Ubuntu on here, these movies played fine (after the system automatically installed libdvdcss.)

I'm out of ideas. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

edit: "codecs" package is installed, as well as all gstreamer-plugins. When the DVD is inserted, HAL mounts the device to /media/DVDNAME and I am able to browse the disc without problem.

edit2: Also, for the record, I can play non-encrypted DVDs just fine, with either HAL automounting or using fstab manual mounting. Seems to be a libdvdcss problem. I may try manually compiling it tomorrow after work.

Last edited by cry0x (2007-06-16 04:11:45)

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic funkin'?

#2 2007-06-15 14:36:43

Snarkout

Re: DVD Playback Issues (solved)

What's dmesg kick out when you put the disk in or when it errors out?

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#3 2007-06-16 03:33:18

cry0x

Snarkout wrote:

What's dmesg kick out when you put the disk in or when it errors out?

end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 16531956

#4 2007-06-16 03:45:57

Snarkout

Have you ever been able to play dvds in this drive?  Those look like the sort of errors you see when you haven't set the region for your player, and it requires setting.  For some reason, some players are fine w/o ever being set, and others go crazy-go-nuts if you don't.  There's a thread on the fora somewhere with a PKGBUILD for regionset I put together if you need it, though honestly regionset is one of those deals that you can just unpack and run from wherever.

http://linvdr.org/download/regionset/

-Albert Einstein

#5 2007-06-16 04:04:41

cry0x

Snarkout wrote:

Have you ever been able to play dvds in this drive?  Those look like the sort of errors you see when you haven't set the region for your player, and it requires setting.  For some reason, some players are fine w/o ever being set, and others go crazy-go-nuts if you don't.  There's a thread on the fora somewhere with a PKGBUILD for regionset I put together if you need it, though honestly regionset is one of those deals that you can just unpack and run from wherever.

http://linvdr.org/download/regionset/

I have, but this was under an Ubuntu install.
I'll try regionset and get back to you.

I highly appreciate the help Snarkout. You are what makes this community so great.

#6 2007-06-16 04:13:07

cry0x

Works great after region is set!

Your pkgbuild worked excellently, by the way. Makepkg was being picky about there not being a line ARCH=('i686'), but after that was added it was a flawless procedure.

I wonder... is there a limit on how many times I can change the region code of the drive?

#7 2007-06-16 16:20:06

Snarkout

Unfortunately most likely - probably 5 times.  It usually kicks that info out when you query the drive or when you change the region.  Sometimes it seems like out of the blue a drive will need its region set - that happened on my wife's lappy for instance.  IIRC when we upgraded from Dapper to Edgy, all of a sudden DVDs wouldn't play, and her player (which had been playing disks for about a year just fine) needed its region set.  Weird stuff.  FWIW, there's a more recent version of regionset, but it's in German, which I don't speak.

-Albert Einstein

#8 2007-07-12 08:18:05

nickwe

Your pkgbuild worked excellently

Would it be possible to have that PKGBUILD because it seems I have exactely the same regionset problem :-(

#9 2007-07-12 13:55:54

Snarkout

-Albert Einstein

Board footer