You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-13 10:09:27

peabrain

Xfce4 halts [solved]

I've been trying to get Xfce4 running with Xgl and Beryl. I searched the forum and found some topics related to this, but found no answer that would help in this situation, so I'm posting this new topic. (I apologize if there already is an answer on the forum and I just couldn't find it.)

Xfce4 starts fine if I comment out the following in the xorg.conf:
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

But then I get a message saying that Beryl can't start because composite is not enabled. Both Gnome and KDE start up just fine with Xgl and Beryl using the same xorg.conf.
If I enable composite in the xorg.conf and clear ~/.cache/sessions/ and then try to fire up Xfce4, it just halts. I get to the point where the Xfce's mouse logo disappears, but no objects appear on the screen, besides the clock cursor. At this point I can move the mouse, but everything else is stalled. I can not kill the X server or switch to console. All I can do is move the mouse or press the power switch. Again Gnome and KDE work fine if composite is enabled.

.xsession-errors and Xorg.0.log don't seem to contain any relevant errors.

Edit:
I hadn't been able to find all Xfce-related configuration files, though I tried to clean them all. I created a new user with a clean home directory and tried to start Xfce4 with composite enabled, and Xfce4 works now. With my actual account beryl-manager loaded up every time I started Xfce4 and it was the cause of the problem. So I can start Xfce4 normally, even with composite enable in xorg.conf, but whenever I try to start Beryl after Xfce4 has started, I end up in a very similar situation to the one I described above.
Now I can see all the desktop objects and whatnot, but I can't do anything. The mouse still moves around and I can close windows that were open before I started Beryl, but I can't press any buttons, open hidden windows or open menus. I can kill the X server now, though.

Last edited by peabrain (2007-07-13 16:35:03)

#2 2007-07-13 11:39:37

Anarconda

Re: Xfce4 halts [solved]

This works for me flawlessly:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beryl

Scientia et sapientia patrimonium humanitatis sunt.

#3 2007-07-13 15:06:36

peabrain

Re: Xfce4 halts [solved]

Yeah, I've read that too. Unfortunately it doesn't offer any solution for my problem.

At the moment I can rotate the cube and move the windows, put for some reason Xfce objects do not respond. For example I can minimize a window properly, but if I click its tab on the Xfce's panel it won't pop back up.

Edit:

Damn... I had completely forgotten the line Xgl :1 -accel glx:pbuffer -accel xv
as mentioned on http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xgl

It's working now.

Why does it always happen so that there's some simple fix you find out just after you've posted the question somewhere...

Sorry for bothering you all.

Last edited by peabrain (2007-07-13 16:34:37)

Board footer