You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-12 19:31:57

punkrockguy318
Website

Filesystem Structure

Hey, I want to think ahead for the next machine I install Arch on and what filesystems I should use.  Here are the three main partitions that should be there IMO.

root -  The root partition needs to be the fasted, most I/O goes on here.  A recent benchmark on slashdot noted that EXT3 was the slowest of all partions, and ReiserFS, XFS, JFS.  Which one of these are the most stable?
/home - Needs to compromise between stability and speed.  What would work here?
/boot - Needs the most stable filesystem available.  Period.

Can you use XFS on a Arch 0.6 Install?  What Filesystems do you recommend for the above partitions?  Should there be more/less partitions IYO?

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#2 2004-05-12 19:48:22

wdemoss

Re: Filesystem Structure

punkrockguy318 wrote:

root -  The root partition needs to be the fasted, most I/O goes on here.  A recent benchmark on slashdot noted that EXT3 was the slowest of all partions, and ReiserFS, XFS, JFS.  Which one of these are the most stable?

reiserfs, handles small files really well, which is what most of root is made out of IMHO.

punkrockguy318 wrote:

/home - Needs to compromise between stability and speed.  What would work here?

jfs/xfs here if you have alot of large files such as movies / mp3s / etc.... I remember reading that jfs and xfs handle larger files much more efficiently. (xfs can handle some crazy file size like two terabytes or something)

punkrockguy318 wrote:

/boot - Needs the most stable filesystem available.  Period.

ext2 here. Tried and True.

punkrockguy318 wrote:

Can you use XFS on a Arch 0.6 Install?

There has been some things people have had trouble with this on the forums. Do a search.

Personally, I use reiserfs for my workstation and jfs for my server for the root partion. I always use ext2 for boot.

-wd

Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?

#3 2004-05-12 20:24:41

KalephOne

Re: Filesystem Structure

There has been some things people have had trouble with this on the forums. Do a search.

I've installed archlinux 0.6 with xfs. The only different thing I had to do was creat a /boot partition using ext3, because I had problems when I tried to install grub with /boot being xfs.

Kaleph
jabber: kaleph@jabber.org

Board footer