You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-13 09:41:57

neok
Website

Lousy dvd play...

Hi all,

I have just installed/configured Arch and I am trying the various features I need here. So far Arch seems quite good and fast to me except for playing DVD movies. I get a warning from Xine that my system is too slow and that too many frames are being dropped. Also the quality of the replay seems poor (resolution seems low, pixelization is evident as horizontal lines and playback is jerky at times).

In my previous distro (Gentoo 1.4) DVD playback was fine and I was very pleased with that. Since hardware is the same, I suspect a configuration or software problem, so here is my setup:

Kernel: 2.6.6 conigured/compiled from standard official source (In Gentoo, kernel 2.4.25).

Video card (Nvidia GEForce) driver: X's own "nv" (In Gentoo, Nvidia's compiled "nvidia" driver). (Monitor is a digital LCD, in Gentoo the "nv" driver would not work with it).

Player: xineui (gxine in Gentoo).

I would much appreciate any hints on possible errors that could cause this problem in arch.

My thanks in advance!

Regards

Neoklis ... Ham Radio Call: 5B4AZ

#2 2004-05-13 10:41:32

Shemeta

Re: Lousy dvd play...

maybe you can take a look over here
it's about choppy DVD playback. i hope it helps.

see ya!

#3 2004-05-13 17:07:43

neok
Website

Shemeta wrote:

maybe you can take a look over here
it's about choppy DVD playback. i hope it helps.

see ya!

Thanks! Actually, it seems that xine itself is the problem. I tried mplayer and ogle, both play quite well with no apparent problems.

Don't know though, whether its a problem within xine or something external. Anyhow, mplayer is quite nice!

Regards

#4 2004-05-14 10:06:29

tale

It seems that recent packages of xine-lib are compiled WITHOUT support for xv. That makes DVD Playback very slow on even moderate machines.

You can manually recompile xine-lib with abs to enable xv (no need to fiddle with the PKBUILD file - the xv capability of your system is autodetected). Check your /etc/abs/abs.conf file, run abs as root, go to /var/abs/multimedia/xine-lib/, run makepkg and afterwards pacman -U xine-lib*

BUT the problem at the moment is that the newest xine-lib cannot be compiled with gcc 3.4 which ships with arch. You could try to manually downgrade to gcc 3.3 or just wait for the package maintainer / the xine devs to fix it. Alternatively you could fix it yourself of course and submit the patch wink

#5 2004-05-14 12:07:41

neok
Website

tale wrote:

BUT the problem at the moment is that the newest xine-lib cannot be compiled with gcc 3.4 which ships with arch. You could try to manually downgrade to gcc 3.3 or just wait for the package maintainer / the xine devs to fix it. Alternatively you could fix it yourself of course and submit the patch wink

Thanks for the info... I think I will stick to mplayer for the time being! Even if I could fix xine, I have a lot to do switching to Arch on top of domestic issues so I will pass the challenge ;-)

Regards

Board footer