You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-12 23:17:21

potentials

Archie: Would it come to Life soon?

Archie, our favorite Live CD that sort of became dead. Where's z4ziggy? He hasn't posted on archie.dotsrc.org since April? Would you please throw us anything? Even an alpha version thrown on your Hard Drive and abandoned for months would be nice.
The last time I used Archie was when I wrote this:
http://www.eglug.org/node/1227
That was more that two years ago. No official releases of Archie was made since then.
Thanks

Last edited by potentials (2007-07-12 23:22:45)

#2 2007-07-12 23:50:10

raymano
Website

Re: Archie: Would it come to Life soon?

Take a look at FaunOS Live USB/DVD. Similar and not dead.

http://www.faunos.com

Last edited by raymano (2007-07-12 23:50:50)

FaunOS: Live USB/DVD Linux Distro: http://www.faunos.com

#3 2007-07-13 13:53:08

Don-DiZzLe

I also want to create a live cd for myself, did u (raymano) use larch or archie or something else different for FaunOS?

#4 2007-07-13 16:51:14

raymano
Website

Don-DiZzLe wrote:

I also want to create a live cd for myself, did u (raymano) use larch or archie or something else different for FaunOS?

FaunOS is based on larch with some changes. I do believe gradgrind's great larch scripts provide the most advance features for a live distro.

#5 2007-07-13 18:10:42

z4ziggy
Website

Hey.

Well, actually we planned to submit 0.6 this week, but dtw has gone for a holiday... which proved to be a good thing, since the latest iso doesn't like working under qemu (works fine on real pc and virtualbox though), so im fixing it atm.
The list of changes in Archie is too huge from previous versions since we completely recoded everything. squashfs-lzma, aufs, initramfs, beryl/compiz, gui-installer, etc etc. I decided not to promise any release-date since everytime i did, something happened and/or i had to retire to work/life situations.

also, for the record, this version will be the last under my supervision since we (me and dtw) decided he will take over the project due to the lack of regular releases as it should have been. my part will remain in the iso creation only and the customizations, and maybe a patch here and there... but anyway.

So, i hope you'll have better news soon, with dtw managing the project smile

Blessings,
z4ziggy

#6 2007-07-13 18:28:40

[vEX]

yikes
/me waits patiently for the new release

PC: Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | GeForce 450GTS | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux x86_64
HTPC: Antec NSK2480 | ASUS M3A78-EM (AMD 780G) | AMD Athlon X3 425 | 8GB DDR2 | GeForce G210 | 2TB HDD | Arch Linux x86_64
Server: Raspberry Pi (model B) | 512MB RAM | 750GB HDD | Arch Linux ARM

#7 2007-07-13 20:29:35

raymano
Website

z4ziggy wrote:

Hey.

Well, actually we planned to submit 0.6 this week, but dtw has gone for a holiday... which proved to be a good thing, since the latest iso doesn't like working under qemu (works fine on real pc and virtualbox though), so im fixing it atm.
The list of changes in Archie is too huge from previous versions since we completely recoded everything. squashfs-lzma, aufs, initramfs, beryl/compiz, gui-installer, etc etc. I decided not to promise any release-date since everytime i did, something happened and/or i had to retire to work/life situations.

also, for the record, this version will be the last under my supervision since we (me and dtw) decided he will take over the project due to the lack of regular releases as it should have been. my part will remain in the iso creation only and the customizations, and maybe a patch here and there... but anyway.

So, i hope you'll have better news soon, with dtw managing the project smile

Blessings,
z4ziggy

Good to hear you guys are working on Archie! One of the reasons for FaunOS was lack of updates to Archie. Maybe we could join forces or at least share ideas.

Have you guys figured out a good GUI front-end to pacman yet? I think this is really important for a live distro.

Regards,
Raymano

#8 2007-07-13 21:58:30

z4ziggy
Website

pacman frontend was always a wish of the project, and i admit the best working frontend atm is jacman, but i didn't like the java dependency so we always looked for gtk2 alternatives, which all projects are now paused because of pacman new libraries. i think i've waited 3 years for a decent gtk2 gui frontend, so i can wait another 3 smile

btw, regarding the java dependency - we now include it on  the iso anyway, thanks to the squashfs-lzma. so maybe i'll put jacman for now. havn't decided yet.

i do hope the new gui installer will prove itself useful, as it finally provides a way for archie users to install arch...

Blessings,
Elia.

#9 2007-07-14 22:02:21

raymano
Website

I have tried the latest jacman but it is not working correctly. Jacman parses the output from pacman and the new pacman3 output is a little different. So you get some weird behavior. That's why we haven't included it in FaunOS.

#10 2007-07-14 23:26:01

potentials

It's good to hear from you z4ziggy. Waiting impatiently for the release. Thanks.

#11 2007-07-15 04:09:40

sivad

Try Larch, not sure on the URL try a forum search

#12 2007-07-15 08:28:54

raymano
Website

sivad wrote:

Try Larch, not sure on the URL try a forum search

Larch is not a live cd. It is a set of scripts for creating a customized live cd. This is what FaunOS is based on and created with.

#13 2007-07-15 09:18:48

Cotton

potentials wrote:

Archie, our favorite Live CD that sort of became dead.

Do you mean the Archie that became a livecd?  The livecd that became a legend.  The legend that became a myth.  The myth that defied all known livecds.
....is back? 

Queue sound effectswink

Last edited by Cotton (2007-07-15 09:27:53)

#14 2007-07-15 17:18:19

z4ziggy
Website

Archie was always consisting of two parts - the archie-scripts which are used to create a/any live iso, and the iso themselves which are a live demo of what can be done using the archie-scripts.

this release presents several iso flavors - xfce, kde, and maybe e17 and openbox. all are capable of running from cd/usb, with optional installation to the hd, and optimized with squashfs-lzma and readahead.

dtw's main concern atm is to split the archie project into two separate projects and thus remove confusion as to what the Archie project is and will be.

and since im already posting - here's an update : the qemu problem was solved and now im working on another bug until dtw's return. the last step before releasing the iso is finishing the customization packages...

Blessings,
z4ziggy

#15 2007-07-16 17:45:09

s26c.sayan
Website

z4ziggy wrote:

Archie was always consisting of two parts - the archie-scripts which are used to create a/any live iso,  ........

I'm very interested in this part......:D
In fact I've been trying to create a live cd  of my own, and have to do it right from scratch! The old "deprecated" mkliveiso scripts just doesn't work here! sad

March Linux : An Arch Linux "distrolet" that I am trying to develop (March = My Arch!)
Please take a look......:)

#16 2007-07-17 21:30:22

arooaroo
Website

raymano wrote:

I have tried the latest jacman but it is not working correctly. Jacman parses the output from pacman and the new pacman3 output is a little different. So you get some weird behavior. That's why we haven't included it in FaunOS.

I wasn't aware of this.

Jacman is a partial front-end in that we've implemented our own code for everything up to the point when you try to install/remove/upgrade a package (e.g., loading the package lists and calculating deps, etc), so that part shouldn't be affected. We do parse the the output once we instruct pacman to do something like an install in order to try and emulate a console. I guess that it's this part that's not working anymore because pacman printing unexpected strings.

I must confess I haven't logged into Arch for a while - I'm so busy with work which requires me to be on my Windows partition so much nowadays. Let's see if the weekend leaves me enough spare time to investigate.

#17 2007-07-18 19:04:22

raymano
Website

arooaroo wrote:
raymano wrote:

I wasn't aware of this.

Jacman is a partial front-end in that we've implemented our own code for everything up to the point when you try to install/remove/upgrade a package (e.g., loading the package lists and calculating deps, etc), so that part shouldn't be affected. We do parse the the output once we instruct pacman to do something like an install in order to try and emulate a console. I guess that it's this part that's not working anymore because pacman printing unexpected strings.

I must confess I haven't logged into Arch for a while - I'm so busy with work which requires me to be on my Windows partition so much nowadays. Let's see if the weekend leaves me enough spare time to investigate.

Sounds good, I think jacman is the best gui front-end for pacman. Specially when it works smile

Board footer