You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-15 04:20:05

vasdee

Preferred applications options missing?

Hi,
Maybe its a ubuntu specific thing (my previous distro) but it seems that some options are missing from the 'preferred applications' dialog - namely Text Editor & Terminal.

Does anyone know how to get these options back? Is it maybe an extra gnome related pacakge i need to install?

What i'm really after is a way to change the default editor to Gedit, i can change it based on mime-type using righ-click -> open with etc... but for things like viewing page source in epiphany it always opens with abiword  :? 

Any suggestions?

#2 2006-07-15 12:58:14

Gullible Jones

Re: Preferred applications options missing?

Run update-desktop-database as root.

#3 2006-07-15 13:04:00

vasdee

cheers for the response, unfortunately no joy sad

#4 2006-07-15 17:24:38

jaboua

I don't know why the options are missing (iirc they were there last time I used gnome) - but you can try removing abiword and gedit, then installing first abiword then gedit (if I'm not mistaking, that would add gedit last and make it highest on the list of apps to open with). Or was it opposite?

#5 2007-07-21 00:29:21

pelle.k

Old thread, but this is still relevant, so here it is;
There is one global setting in /usr/share/applications/default-applications.desktop where you can set some global preferences. (terminal etc.)
There's also ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list where you would add "text/plain=gedit.desktop" and possibly remove other "text/*=abiword.desktop" instances that will override this setting, to have gedit as default editor... (just an example)

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

Board footer