You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-10 17:15:23

eric

Use Windows or OSX as virtual machine for photoshop & illustrator?

Hi,

I need to have Adobe's illustrator and phototshop. I know there's inkscape and gimp and a few other apps on Linux which provide almost the same functionality, but I just want to use photoshop and illustrator.
I can use vmware or virtualbox and maybe others to install a 2nd operating system running as a virtual machine on top of my Archlinux computer.

My question is, what would be more speed and/or memory efficient, running the Apple OSX or Windows XP operating system on my computer?

#2 2007-06-10 19:24:14

baze

Re: Use Windows or OSX as virtual machine for photoshop & illustrator?

i don't think osx even runs as a guest in virtualbox. only as a host. not sure about vmware though.
i'll have to do the same thing soon, although i prefer inkscape and gimp...

#3 2007-06-10 22:48:40

mitsoko
Banned

i know almost nothing about os x  .. but if i took a wild guess at it, i'd say XP would; run more smoothly, as it's requirements are lower, e.g no special feature (i.e SSE3, and lower RAM)

#4 2007-06-10 23:40:31

Ruckus

You might even try something like MS 2000 instead of XP.

#5 2007-06-11 00:49:10

eric

baze wrote:

Yeah, I've used inkscape, xaralx and gimp. Gimp is sufficient for my needs, but xaralx and inkscape are not even near an old version of Adobe's illustrator that I could run with wine. I can not run the newest illustrator and photoshop with wine.

Ruckus wrote:

You might even try something like MS 2000 instead of XP.

According to Adobe, photoshop CS3 needs WinXPsp2 or newer. I don't know if that is true, they also said that it needs 512MB of memory and 64MB video memory which I don't have (on virtualbox I only give the guest OS 256MB and 8MB video memory).

#6 2007-07-05 15:19:38

karsten

most likely you wont get ps2-3 working in wine until their copy protection stuff is implemented more fully

#7 2007-07-05 18:31:19

hussam
Website

baze wrote:

i don't think osx even runs as a guest in virtualbox. only as a host. not sure about vmware though.

Actually I don't think Apple even allows people to legally run OSX on non certified hardware.

#8 2007-07-10 22:23:28

jb

You would be correct, Apple doesn't allow OSX to run on non-sanctioned hardware... although that hasn't stopped people from doing so.

#9 2007-07-11 05:38:48

Acid7711
Website

I've gotten Photoshop 7.0 to work pretty much flawlessly under crossover office. I realize it's not free, but it's well worth the price for the amount of apps I've gotten to successfully run under it.  Not that I always need them or use them, but for the times I do, it's awesome.  I haven't ever tried Illustrator, but I'd assume it works. I haven't checked though. I know I got Photoshop CS2 to successfully install and start under CXOffice, however after the inital run and crash, it refused to load. But 7 does work.

Btw, I don't know if it's allowed to talk about it here, but I have gotten osx86 to work.  I just wanted to try it.  I know from personal experience you can get it to work through a virtual session, but I believe it has to be done so with the x86 implamentation of its code.  And again, I'm not sure if it's allowed to talk about such things on here. Someplaces are picky, and I don't really care to get banned for passing on information that can easily be obtained. big_smile

Last edited by Acid7711 (2007-07-11 05:43:30)

#10 2007-07-12 05:43:43

Cotton

What's your hardware?

#11 2007-07-12 06:35:46

Acid7711
Website

amd 64 3400, DFI Lanparty UT, 2gb ram, like 4 hds, geforce 6600gt, i forget the actual specs of everything, it's been some time.  The only thing I never got working under it was my SB Live card, but it's very well known that that card doesn't work well.  Onboard did though.  I fooled around with it for about a week getting amarok to compile and work, but in the end it didn't come out too well even when I did get it to work. I just didn't like it too much.  It was really just something to kill time with.

#12 2007-07-12 18:38:25

Cotton

Something that powerful should have no problem running Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver etc under Virtualbox.

@eric what's your hardware like?

#13 2007-07-15 04:32:30

Acid7711
Website

I don't. But why run it through Virtualbox or something like it when I can just run it through CXoffice/Wine? It's runs perfectly fine for me. That's all I was saying, I was just adding in what I've done before to fiddle around, he was askin about running osx under something like virtualbox, but i don't think you can do it on a PC unless you have the osx86 versions. That's all I was getting at wink

#14 2007-07-15 08:35:48

Cotton

Virtualbox is free and runs most 2D windows apps.  Wine can't.  Ref Adobe products, wine can't install  Dreamweaver CS3, which doesn't bode well for future editions of Photoshop & Illustrator.  Crossoveroffice is not free, so if you have adequate hardware, Virtualbox wins hands down imo.  A real WinXP partition is only necessary for games.

Back on topic, knowledge of the hardware platform is fundamental to this decision. 

Anyway, asking about a comparison of OSX with WInXP in a "Linux Discussion" forum probably won't yield the best advice wink

#15 2007-07-15 08:57:27

kishd

Another option may be to use crossover office from www.codeweavers.com. Photoshop works quite well with it.

---for there is nothing either good or bad, but only thinking makes it so....
Hamlet, W Shakespeare

#16 2007-07-16 05:19:12

Acid7711
Website

Cotton wrote:

Virtualbox is free and runs most 2D windows apps.  Wine can't.  Ref Adobe products, wine can't install  Dreamweaver CS3, which doesn't bode well for future editions of Photoshop & Illustrator.  Crossoveroffice is not free, so if you have adequate hardware, Virtualbox wins hands down imo.  A real WinXP partition is only necessary for games.

Back on topic, knowledge of the hardware platform is fundamental to this decision. 

Anyway, asking about a comparison of OSX with WInXP in a "Linux Discussion" forum probably won't yield the best advice wink

Technically, Virtualbox doesn't run apps at all, it might run operating systems though.  So, in all aspects, you can't really compare wine to Virtualbox because you're comparing two different products created for two different reasons.  Straight emulation for a single program's code is different than running a virtual environment inside another.  That's just my take on it.  And yeah, it costs, but PS 7.0, as I stated earlier, runs perfectly fine under wine anyways. And that, there....is free.  So far, there are minimal additions to the newer versions of photoshop and said apps above 7.0. For the average user, it has everything, and can do everything, that the new ones still do.

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=17

and in either case, he wasn't really trying to compare the operating systems themselves, but rather running said application through a virtual environment under linux, and my reply to which was, why not run it semi-natively under wine or equivalent instead of through a virtual environment.  There are numerous advantages to doing so.  That's what I was getting at.

Last edited by Acid7711 (2007-07-16 05:22:15)

#17 2007-07-23 06:33:31

karsten

kishd wrote:

Another option may be to use crossover office from www.codeweavers.com. Photoshop works quite well with it.

only up til version 7.0.  after that (i.e. CS,CS2,etc.) the copy-protection is too much to handle.

#18 2007-07-23 21:37:33

skottish
Forum Fellow

from http://business.newsforge.com/business/ … 5209.shtml

Because Wine is a userspace program, and cannot see hardware, things such as USB devices (like a USB key) cannot be directly seen by programs running under Wine. An effect of this, he says, is that programs requiring Digital Rights Management (DRM) will not work under Wine and won't unless and until Linux gets native DRM support. Companies that use DRM, he said, are not willing to help. He gave the latest version of Photoshop as one example of a program that has implemented DRM and will not work in Wine.

Board footer