You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-13 10:37:46

dp
Website

amarok, kaffeine and koffice

FYI:

these 3 pkgs are flagged out-of-date and i'm working on them - but as the new versions have either compiling or running trouble caused of lack of compatibility with gcc 3.4, i will not yet update them

the gentoo-team is working on a patch for koffice ( http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50161 )

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2004-05-13 12:11:44

xerxes2
Website

Re: amarok, kaffeine and koffice

I quit kde and qt dp,totally.
Maybe i go back if the total number of bugs decreases to <5000

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#3 2004-05-13 12:37:12

dp
Website

bugs are counted continuelly upwards in bugzilla, so there will be more and more bugs, but most of them are solved, so actually there are about 400-1800 open ones (the bug i posted up is a gentoo-bug, not a kde-bug)

having an alternative to kde is great - but qt is needed by other stuff :-)

#4 2004-05-13 13:57:19

xerxes2
Website

No I mean it dp ,seriously.
I now run openbox with rox. Pretty happy also and thanks for your aterm settings. I like that dark look. Xcdroast,gftp,aterm,gaim,xchat,bluefish,firefox,gimp,emacs,mplayer...
Is here qt somewhere?

#5 2004-05-13 20:29:13

dp
Website

xerxes2 wrote:

No I mean it dp ,seriously.
I now run openbox with rox. Pretty happy also and thanks for your aterm settings. I like that dark look. Xcdroast,gftp,aterm,gaim,xchat,bluefish,firefox,gimp,emacs,mplayer...
Is here qt somewhere?

no, you are qt-free for now ... enjoy it!

#6 2004-05-13 21:37:09

xerxes2
Website

A few friends are interested in going in to linux but maybe it's better for them to wait for kde 3.2.3 ,hopefully the nasty bugs are gone then.

#7 2004-05-13 21:43:53

dp
Website

xerxes2 wrote:

A few friends are interested in going in to linux but maybe it's better for them to wait for kde 3.2.3 ,hopefully the nasty bugs are gone then.

but new will come :-(

i would suggest them to set a fluxbox-desktop with gdm as login (or if they have enough hdd-space, the whole palette of WM/DE's to try out)

#8 2004-05-13 22:08:51

xerxes2
Website

Oki ,but it's painful for me to help them with all that.
A default kde install is all a normal person needs,if it's stabil.
I'm looking forward to try fluxbox myself though! I tried 0.13 or something but I went to openbox instead and stays with it for a while now I think.

I almost think that kde is overkill for most users,maybe gnome 2.6 is easier and more stabil.

#9 2004-05-14 03:04:52

Neje

Sorry to butt in, but I think xfce4 is also worth checking out if you're looking for something easy to work with for your friends.
It's easy on the eyes (gtk2) and easy to configure (http://131.176.29.94/~auke/xfce/default … anager.png).
For a reasonable menu, you can use menumaker (http://www.archlinux.org/packages.php?id=958).
With gdm as login manager like dp suggested, I think it could be a pretty noob-friendly environment.

Neje

P.S. Sorry, I'm not trying to sound like a commercial, I just have been using xfce4 for a while now and I've come to think it's probably noob-friendlier than most other WM/DE's.

#10 2004-05-14 08:01:22

xerxes2
Website

Hi Neje!
You can join every time you want in here.
I heard that xfce is good,havn't tried it myself,but is it easier to use than gnome.
Can you recommend xfce to your grandma?

#11 2004-05-14 08:09:49

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Fluxbox :-) all the way ....

Mr Green

#12 2004-05-14 08:27:03

xerxes2
Website

I want Fluxbox too green but I wait for 1.0!
It's made in Sweden I think....

#13 2004-05-14 08:56:05

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Don't wait...just install...

Mr Green  8)

Mr Green

#14 2004-05-14 09:21:34

dpb

What's new in the development version of fluxbox? I've used the stable version, but I like Openbox better than that...

Will the new Fluxbox convert me back to it??

#15 2004-05-14 09:59:13

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/

Use what you like.... smile

Thats the whole point of Linux

Mr Green

Mr Green

#16 2004-05-14 10:34:26

xerxes2
Website

About KDE...

dp wrote:

bugs are counted continuelly upwards in bugzilla, so there will be more and more bugs,

My answer to this must be the same as Linus' in the following dialog:

Dark Ballmer turns around,facing Linus.

Dark Ballmer: -Linus, I am your father.

Linus: -NoooOOOOOoooooOOOOooooOOOoooOOOoooooOOOOOO!

#17 2004-05-14 14:53:30

Neje

xerxes2 wrote:

I heard that xfce is good,havn't tried it myself,but is it easier to use than gnome.
Can you recommend xfce to your grandma?

Well, I'd probably have to set it up for her, but that's pretty much unavoidable. But you can have a lot of icons in the panel (like I do) if you make it smaller, take the pager out and put that in the taskbar (that option is in settings). Then it becomes a matter of instructing the grandma "for checking your mail, click the little mailbox you see there in the panel", "for surfing the Internet, click the little dude on the surfboard you see there in the panel" (Beos icon theme) and so on (the icons must be set up to start the right apps, obviously ;-) ). If she gets confused about what programs she has running, the taskbar is always listing all of them (if you set it up that way in the settings), regardless of which workspace they're in.

I don't really like making a right-click menu, it's xml. But menumaker (mmaker -v xfce4) gives you a pretty good starting point. With a little editing of ~/.xfce4/menu.xml and /opt/xfce4/etc/xfce4/xinitrc, xfce4 can be very *box-like, too (you can comment out the panel in the xinitrc if you like. Comment out xfcalendar while you're there, it's annoying).

I feel it's easier to use than Gnome, Gnome configuration scares me a bit, particularly gconf ;-) . Gnome's default layout confuses me too, what do I click to start doing something in this? http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/teams/ma … efault.png
while xfce4's default layout is friendly to me http://131.176.29.94/~auke/xfce/default.png.
I realize that the Chinese (?) in the Gnome screenshot doesn't really help ;-) though. But it was the only one labeled "default" in the directory.

#18 2004-05-14 22:07:12

xerxes2
Website

That sure looks like linux for grandma Neje.
I will try it on my laptop. Strange that no big distros are shipping xfce  as default de, geeks could easily change to another  anyway.
Well someone will probably do it to get stability. Grandma don't like bugs..he.he..

#19 2004-05-14 22:22:24

Abaddon

Kde is the best :> that's all what I want to say :]

Gnome - The weakest link!
Linux, *not* GNU/Linux!

#20 2004-05-14 22:32:02

dp
Website

xfce is ... hmm ... difficult to describe ... maybe like this : it's too much "old-unix-like"
(i never found out how to make it a usefull desktop - skins? it has a xfskins, but where do the skins come from? background? only streched or tiled? :-( ... this small things i mean with this "old-unix(X)-style")

i really like fluxbox, because it's easy, nice-looking and fast ... and developement under it is burning and a lot of things are worked to make it better

a crossover of kde and fluxbox would be the best, but this is not that easy to make :-)

#21 2004-05-15 10:29:09

xerxes2
Website

Hmmm...I think I get your points dp...but you are not really grandma..you are a geek..
grandma needs stability and ease of use

#22 2004-05-15 11:00:32

mcubednyc

Presuming someone half-way familar with Linux is setting things up for Grandma, then I think IceWM would be a good choice.  The UI is modeled explicitly on Win95, so it's immediately familiar to anyone with a passing Windows background, yet it is easier to come to grips with than Windows ever was.  Not many bugs that I found ... the most irritating one (IMO) is that the capacity to modify Ctrl+Alt+# for keyboard workspace switching to the Window key + # is broken -- I didn't like having to press three keys to switch between workspaces.  But Grandma is likelier to use the mouse anyway, and the switcher is right there in the taskbar by default.

It supports a very light & easy form of session management and has a pretty extensive GUI config tool add-on (not packaged for Arch yet) that looks easy to use.  I didn't try it, preferring instead to edit the config files directly.  The most complicated thing about it, I think, is that there is perhaps one too many config files, but Grandma's probably going to be comfortable with the defaults anyway.

Not that I've tried every WM/DE out there, but of those I have (KDE, Xfce, FVWM2, Black/Flux/Openbox, Windowmaker), IceWM seemed to me to be the easiest to get the hang of.

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - S. Jackson

#23 2004-05-17 21:45:42

xerxes2
Website

Hi yankee!
I tried ice a little but it was over a year ago ,it was good but maybe it's overkill for just a normal user.  I liked it but then I went to KDE. I know hackers use it because it never crashes.

Board footer