You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-14 00:35:58

p0indext0r

Dropline gnome / KDE for arch.

Hey, before arch I was using slackware and dropline gnome ( go here for more info http://www.dropline.net/gnome ) and I really liked it. I was just wondering if anyone here would be interested or willing to use a custom version of gnome or kde specifically made for arch? such as dropline is for slackware.

Just curious.

If a turtle loses its shell, is it naked or homeless? -- p0indext0r

#2 2004-05-14 09:58:59

mcubednyc

Re: Dropline gnome / KDE for arch.

I'd be interested in trying out such a thing, for Gnome or KDE.  Hard to say whether I'd want to use something like that long-term until I try it, though.  ATM, I'm liking fluxbox an awful lot.

I had trouble when I tried to install a Gnome DE on Arch.  Partly, it was because of some problems with Gnome and/or Arch Linux's implementation (search the forums ... there are some pretty long threads about the trouble people have had getting Gnome to work), and partly it was because I've never used Gnome and I didn't have much of an idea of how it was supposed to work.  Gnome documentation goes into a fair amount of detail, but in the end it seemed like an awful lot of effort just to try something, so I gave up on it.

I'm sure there are many Arch users who wouldn't be interested, or who are more inclined to customize KDE/Gnome for themselves if they use either one at all, but I think the existence of such projects would enhance Arch's appeal to people who aren't very experienced with Linux or with the DE's for Linux.  (That would be me!  smile ) I don't think it needs to be (or even should be) an "official" part of the Arch distro, just like Dropline isn't an official part of Slackware.  I also think, like Dropline, it would be a lot of work and require significant resources to be done right.

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - S. Jackson

#3 2004-05-14 13:46:01

shen
Website

Re: Dropline gnome / KDE for arch.

One thing I always did like about Slack was dropline gnome. Pretty much they took gnome and made it better and it simply worked. I think something like this for either gnome or kde would more then likely be a warm welcome to many arch linux users. Granted it is quite a project to undertak especially for gnome. Anyways I wouldn't mind trying either out..:) One thing I would like to see is a kde grouping that takes many of the useless apps out of kde since there are quite a few that really are useless, IMHO that is.

Board footer