You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-25 15:03:56

akejo

Consolidating disk usage...

Hello.

I am looking through my disks right now and having problems deciding what to do. This is not really a 'hardware problem' as a 'organize hardware problem' but I wasn't sure where to post it.

As I, in my work, now and then test windows applications, use Windows only business apps I have been limited to to that at work(mostly because I install/reinstall alot for fun on my pc... After using vnc(to work) a while as well as 'borrowing' my wifes laptop I started to think about optimizing my main pc so I can use it for 'all those things I need'.

As I also like to play those games(existing and coming) not available for arch/linux/wine I need to rearrange my disks to use both arch(My main home OS), Windows(My 'work os') and be able to have storage disks usable by both OS's. I also need to be able to use a 'pen disk' I can use as a permanent 'Save all important stuff here for home/work' and be able to carry that one around.

One of my concerns is 'how much will I need' on current disks, I feel I don't use the partitions 'enough' as you can see below and should consolidate the disks a little better. I also wonder what external HD's I can safely use in both linux and windows(What do -you- use. Storage disks's size is not that important as 200G is more then enough for me. The usb pen will have to hold all my documents as well as 'portable programs' so 1-2G would do there.

My wish is to have two bootable OS's, Arch and Windows XP(via lilo). Both should share a common 'data disk' with  movies, graphics, fonts, MP3 etc(probably an USB disk). In those cases I can use Arch/linux I prefer that, so the windows disk must be accessible from linux(probably only for reading). When Vista comes to the company I will probably have to have space for that to...

Last time I did this kind of 'sorting out the space' was when BIG disks was 60GB so it's been a while. Last years I've only reinstalled what I liked to try out and saved data on cd/dvd but I'm getting worn out by that to as my saved data tends to be bigger and bigger and cd's use space where I rather have my books put back on place.

So... I am posting here asking for some input on 'how do you do?' and how's it working? Please discuss pro's and con's of my suggested configurations.

/ I apologize for the bad format below, seems the CODE tag won't hold the tabs or something. Hope you can read it.

Current configuration
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disk 1: 80GB, Disk 2: 80GB. Identical disks, SATA

Disk 1(sda):          Size      Used         Mount                    Fstype
----------------    --------   --------    ---------                ----------
/dev/sda2           122M    11M          /boot            ext2
/dev/sda3           24G       3.9G        /                   reiserfs
/dev/sda5           3.8G       466M          /home              reiserfs
/dev/sda6           47G        17G            /home/akejo/files       reiserfs    (Temp storage, disk images, vmware OS's for testing)

Disk 2(sdb):    Size        Used    Mount            Fstype
-----------------    --------    --------    ---------            ----------            
/dev/sdb1    74G       32G       /home/akejo/data     ext3        (Docs, Movies, MP3 collection, fonts, wine "C disk")

Suggestion 1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This seems to be 'best' as I can easiy reinstall linux OR windows on each of their disks
but as I come from a time when storage was expensive my eye starts to twitch when 
I see unused space(like in the current config, only 4G of 24G used on /...)

Disk 1/2:     80GB, Identical disks, SATA
Disk 3:     Suggestion: Western Digital MyBook WDG1U2500E 250GB 7200RPM usb 2.0
Disk 4:      Suggest: USB Disk/pen, easy/safe transportable and support crypted partitions

Disk 1(sda):     Size        Used    Mount            Fstype
----------------    --------    --------    ---------            ----------
/dev/sda1    ?                /boot            ext2        
/dev/sda2    ?                /                reiserfs
/dev/sda3    ?                /home            reiserfs

Disk 2(sdb):    Size        Used    Mount            Fstype
/dev/sdb1    74G                /mnt/win            NTFS    (Windows, games and 'win only' apps for work)

Disk 3(sd?):    Size        Used    Mount            Fstype
/dev/???        250G            /mnt/WD            NTFS (?)    Storage, music, movies, etc

Disk 4(sd?)    Size        Used    Mount            Fstype
/dev/???        2GB                /mnt/pen (?)        ? (usb)     Dokuments, workstuff. encrypted disk

Suggestion 2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(I am a little concerned about linux/windows reside on same raided disks, drivers etc)

Disk 1/2:     80GB, Identical disks, SATA
Disk 3:     Suggestion: Western Digital MyBook WDG1U2500E 250GB 7200RPM usb 2.0
Disk 4:      Suggest: USB Disk/pen, easy/safe transportable and support crypted partitions

Disk 1/2(sda):     Size        Used    Mount            Fstype    (2 Disks in Raid 0 for speed)
----------------    --------    --------    ---------            ----------
/dev/sda2    ?                /boot            ext2        
/dev/sda3    ?                /                reiserfs
/dev/sda4    ?                /home            reiserfs
/dev/sda4(C:)    ?                /mnt/win            NTFS    (Windows partition, bootable)

Disk 3(sd?):    Size        Used    Mount            Fstype
/dev/???        250G            /mnt/WD            NTFS (?)    Storage, music, movies, etc

Disk 4(sd?)    Size        Used    Mount            Fstype
/dev/???        2GB                /mnt/pen (?)        ? (usb)     Dokuments, workstuff. encrypted

Last edited by akejo (2007-07-25 15:05:54)

Board footer