You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-25 23:46:25

saciel

[solved] dual head with Intel GMA 950 - external monitor stays black

I tried to configrue X on my new Lenovo Thinkpad (with Intel GMA 950; using i810 drivers) for dual head. Besides the internal display I would like to use a CRT-Monitor. At boot time, I can choose which monitor to use. There goes the console output and X11 with my old configuration... Everything works well, for both, the internal OR the external display.

Now I choose 'internal' at boot time and try to configure the CRT as a second screen for X. But it always remains black. I get the following warning (I had it before the reconfiguration, too) but I'm not sure if it really has something to do with it:

(WW) I810: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found

Besides others, 'lspci' returns:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

I don't get what's wrong, I don't care too much about having Xinerama running at the moment or something... I would be glad if I for once had both screens up and running. These should be the relevant parts of my new 'xorg.conf':

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Lenovo X60 TFT"
    HorizSync   31.5 - 48.5
    VertRefresh 50-70
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Eizo FlexScan F520"
    HorizSync   31.5 - 48.5Section "Device"
    VertRefresh 50-70
EndSection
Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Standard VGA"
    VendorName    "Unknown"
    BoardName    "Unknown"
    Driver     "vga"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel GMA 950"
    Driver      "i810"
    BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
    Screen      0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel GMA 950 2"
    Driver      "i810"
    BusID       "PCI:0:2:1"
    Screen      1
EndSection
Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "Intel GMA 950"
    Monitor     "Lenovo X60 TFT"
    DefaultDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 2"
    Device      "Intel GMA 950 2"
    Monitor     "Eizo FlexScan F520"
    DefaultDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
    Modes       "1024x768"
    ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection
Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier  "Simple Layout"

Screen 0 "Screen 1"
    Screen 1 "Screen 2" Above "Screen 1"

InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

Option "Xinerama" "true"
    Option "AIGLX" "true"

EndSection

So what's wrong with that... I once had - with another laptop, using GMA 950 and i810, too - the internal and an external TFT running at the same time. They were connected via DVI, now I just got a vga-link and a CRT, but that shouldn't matter, or does it?

Last edited by saciel (2007-07-26 13:02:20)

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

#2 2007-07-26 06:41:07

JGC
Developer

Re: [solved] dual head with Intel GMA 950 - external monitor stays black

Ehm, you're using the vga driver, you should use the i810 or intel driver.

#3 2007-07-26 08:46:54

saciel

JGC wrote:

Ehm, you're using the vga driver, you should use the i810 or intel driver.

But this is just the preconfigured, generic device from xorg.conf. I thought it should not matter keeping it, and I'm pretty sure, that with the other laptop - where I had it working - I kept it as well. Why should it matter? The correct BusIDs are set for the two i810 devices. But ok, I'll try deleting it.

EDIT: Well, I deleted it, but it doesn't change anything. The warning is still there and the screen still remains black.

Last edited by saciel (2007-07-26 08:54:01)

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

#4 2007-07-26 09:24:49

JGC
Developer

Didn't notice the i810 sections below it.

I think http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=30489 should be a good starting point for dualscreen, though I don't know if it's actually xinerama emulation that you want.

#5 2007-07-26 10:09:02

saciel

I've had seen this thread already but couldn't get any help from it. I was mainly working with an Ubuntu-Tutorial. I found out now, that it seems to be all about the "MonitorLayout" setting in the Device section.

If I set it to "CRT,LFP" in both sections, than only the internal TFT shows my windowmanager. "LFP,CRT" makes the external CathodeRayTube switch on but therefore the TFT remains black.

To my surprise, in that case, they seem to use the same Device Section. I still get the warning about the PCI:0:2:1 BusID and if I make changes in "Screen 1", which is linked with the first device, they apply to both options, starting with TFT and starting with CRT.

At least I made a step forward by being able to choose a monitor not only at boottime but with changing my xorg.conf settings. Any clues how I make them both show something?

#6 2007-07-26 10:45:13

JGC
Developer

Check for other options for monitorlayout, from my own laptop, I remember the internal panel is specified as LVDMS.

#7 2007-07-26 11:02:44

saciel

JGC wrote:

Check for other options for monitorlayout, from my own laptop, I remember the internal panel is specified as LVDMS.

Using your suggestions, only the CRT turns on, no matter if it's mentioned first or last in "MonitorLayout" and this is what I've found before in the Ubuntu tutorial:

Ati Driver:
NONE   -- Not connected
CRT   -- Analog CRT monitor
TMDS   -- Desktop flat panel
LVDS   -- Laptop flat panel

i810 Driver:
CRT -- Cathode Ray Tube
LFP -- Local Flat Panel
DFP -- Digital Flat Panel
TV
CRT2
LFP2
DFP2
TV2
NONE -- Not connected

EDIT: I've tried several other settings now, like LFP2 or LVDS and in different orders in "MonitorLayout"... all to no effect.

The order in the second device section does not matter. If in the frist section LFP comes SECOND in "MonitorLayout" the internal display is used, if CRT comes second, the Tube is used, if anything else is in last position, both screens remain dark.

Last edited by saciel (2007-07-26 11:13:43)

#8 2007-07-26 12:39:31

saciel

I still fear that it has something to do with:

With the following configuration, I manage to display show the very same desktop on both screens (but with one 'head' only). So I guess it's really a problem with PCI:0:2:1 as PCI:0:2:0 can display on either one of them or on both.

Section "Device"
    Driver      "i810"
    Option      "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP+CRT"
    Option      "Clone "On"
    Screen      0
EndSection

I have no clues what else I could try!

#9 2007-07-26 13:01:53

saciel

Ok, it's done!!! It was pretty simple... of course it was, it's always the simplest things that one doesn't see...

I've read it somewhere before but must xorg.confs do it like I did it before, too: PCI:0:2:1 seems to be sort of a fake Device... With the following configuration, it's working as it's supposed too. Two screens, different resolutions and full xinerama support!

The Screen, ScreenLayout and Monitor sections remain as in the inital post, but I changed the Device sections to:

Section "Device"
    Driver      "i810"
    Option      "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
    Option      "DDCMode" True"    #This value shouldn't matter!
    Screen      0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Intel GMA 950 2"
    Driver      "i810"
    BusID       "PCI:0:2:0" # 0:2:0 !!! Not 0:2:1 !!!
    Option      "DDCMode" True"    #This value shouldn't matter!
    Screen      1
EndSection

Thank's for your tips and advises! Perhaps I should write something for the wiki?

Last edited by saciel (2007-07-26 13:02:51)

#10 2007-11-09 17:10:47

karel

Hi, I have a problem. I set xorg.conf as you advised. I have Driver "intel" instead of Driver  "i810"

But both displays remain black. I get this warning

#11 2007-11-09 23:43:54

saciel

I always get this warning, too. It shouldn't be a matter of your problem. If you set up for dual head both screens remain black... but you have a setting where one screen is working, haven't you?

The only thing I can advice you to do right now is starting from your original xorg.conf where one screen is working, and then change it from step to step. First try to set up a second Device-Section, then test if your single screen is still working. Then add another Monitor and Display - test your screen again. Then, if you still have one screen working begin to modify your server layout section. This should help you to identify the 'location' of your problem. Maybe it's just a little mistake somewhere that you just keep overlooking over and over.

I'm sorry I can't give you any other hints now. Try this, and if you have located the problem but can't solve it on your own try asking me again. Until then, I might try to switch to intel-drivers and see if it works for me, if I find enough spare time.

Board footer