You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-01 09:28:57

SenorSnor

Homedir disappeared ...

After upgrading my system yesterday evening my the homedir of my only user (/home/arvind) was removed. Only remaining one was /home/ftp. Modification time of /home was about the time of the upgrade.

I don't remember which packages I upgraded exactly, but there were only a few as I update quite regularly. Thank god I have backups. I was wondering if this is something because of an upgrade of a package, do other people suffer from this? I have no reason to delete the dir myself, and can't remember deleting anything anyway on that server, but of course it could be a stupidity on my part. Just wanted to make sure smile

I upgraded at about the time my daily cron job did it's thing, including making backups. Maybe something went wrong there. Didn't have time to investigate yet, but wanted to make sure and maybe warn people to be careful.

#2 2007-08-01 10:07:06

IsSuE

Re: Homedir disappeared ...

did you update your filesystem package yesterday?
Probably it mixed up your fstab

#3 2007-08-01 17:37:56

SenorSnor

Yes, I upgraded filesystem. It probably messed up fstab; I don't really know how I had it set up before, but either I mounted a dir on /home, or I used a symlink there to the correct dir (/home/arvind -> /data/home/arvind) and the symlink disappeared. There was no line in fstab anymore for the mount on /home. I added it and everything's fine.

So it may very well have been a stupid way for me to setup stuff, but something was altered by the upgrade that I think should not have happened. So be warned smile

#4 2007-08-01 17:41:45

SenorSnor

Only now I see the other posts regarding upgrading filesystem and disappearing symlinks. I think I had the symlink /home/arvind pointed to the other dir and the symlink got deleted.

Board footer