You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-01 19:13:34

rbrownclown

GNOME Desktop Too Bare!

I love Arch and I love GNOME.  The problem is - the default GNOME desktop that comes with Arch is EXTREMELY BARE!  Even after I change the wallpaper and add some new icons.  It just feels so empty.  Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can fix things up?

#2 2007-08-01 20:20:43

thayer
Fellow
Website

Re: GNOME Desktop Too Bare!

Hrmm... sure. You could grab some GTK themes from http://www.gnome-look.org to spice up your window decorations and colour schemes.

Is there something in particular you feel is lacking?  Have you come from a different distro that had "better" looks?  If so, which one? 

I'm assuming you at least installed the gnome package group, but there's also the gnome-extra package, which has a bunch of basic utilities, games, etc.

You could always try XGL+Beryl for some nifty 3D effects, as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRgbN-BodGs

These of course are just suggestions...

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-08-01 20:46:37)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#3 2007-08-01 20:57:08

pelle.k

Wallpapers:
(install downloadthemall firefox extension. open all pics in new tabs, when you're done the click address bar, then downloadthemall from menu. this way you get them all in one click)
http://browse.deviantart.com/customization/wallpaper/

GTK engine + gtkrc:
(from repos, searc with pacman)
murrine, rezlooks

Icons and window borders (aka "metacity themes"):
(install by dragging tar.gz packs to theme preferences window, save your favourites to disk until next installation)
www.gnome-look.org (sort by highest rating)

Cursor themes:
(from repos, searc with pacman. These are the default cursors in ubuntu btw.)
xcursor-vanilla-dmz, xcursor-vanilla-dmz-aa

Conky is fun too, if you're into that sort of thing. It can be a bit tricky to use alongside a gnome/kde "root window" (desktop) though...
I myself installed xcompmgr and avant-window-navigator a while ago. fun stuff. pretty too.
You could also design your own panels backgrounds with "the gimp". curved or "glossy" panels is fun to experiment with smile

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#4 2007-08-01 21:26:32

rbrownclown

Thanks for the suggestions!  They're all great!

What feels so bare is just how blank the desktop is.  There's not a single icon on it.  Just a wallpaper.  I saw a Dock in a demo of Compiz Fusion (which is another thing I should check out).  Is the Dock an extention?

#5 2007-08-02 01:32:36

pelle.k

the dock is probably what i mentioned, avant-window-navigator - if it looks like an OSX style dock.
You _need_ to run any form of compositor for it to work though. I chose xcompmgr instead of compiz-fusion, because compiz-fusion is rather buggy. Also i didn't need all the bling, just something for avant-window-navigator to run on top of.

To add icons to desktop, run the "configuration editor", and navigate to applications->nautilus->desktop (if i remember correctly) to have "proper" desktop icons. You could of course also make some (sym)links to your drives/directories if they are mounted permanently.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#6 2007-08-02 07:14:01

stjepan

Last edited by stjepan (2022-09-20 21:44:24)

#7 2007-08-02 15:39:06

Jedi Stannis

Take a look at adesklets too... they are a really nice addition to the desktop and don't use a lot of resources.  It is available in community a long with some desklets, and some more desklets are available in the unsupported AUR.

Last edited by Jedi Stannis (2007-08-02 15:39:22)

Board footer