You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-18 06:59:00

arunvragh

Network Manager and Wireless

I have a Broadcom 1390 mini wireless on a Compaq v3000 series laptop with AMD Turion64 processor.

I have been trying to activate it for some time now. bcm43xx did not work. i compiled ndiswrapper, blacklisted bcm43xx and managed to get wireless detected. I used wifi-radar to connect, but strangely the gnome network applet and wireless network manager showed as no network though wireless was connected and working. I had enabled wlan0 in rc.conf and all details entered as per the wiki.

I removed networkmanager from rc.conf daemons and added network. Now wireless connects at boot without a hitch. No need for wifi-radar. This is after so many reboots that this occurred to me, so I thought i should share this and perhaps find out if there is something wrong in my approach. I am new to Arch (about a few months) though I have been with Ubuntu, CentOS etc for a few years now

#2 2007-08-02 10:46:42

arunvragh

Re: Network Manager and Wireless

Now I have a problem of entering WEP Key as our network has encryption turned onn. I entered the 10 digit hexadecimal key in rc.conf after "essid default " as key AABBCCDD56. But it does not connect now. I have changed it in /etc/conf.d/wireless as well aprt from /etc/network-profiles/wlan0

Any idea?
Rgds
Arun

#3 2007-08-02 20:07:27

colnago

Try "essid default enc AABBCCDD56..." rather than "key ...".  You can also try using knetworkmanager or some other tool to hold the key.  You can then pick and chose your networks.

As an aside, I nave the 1390 card and I could not get encryption or essid selection working with ndiswrapper.  I needed to go back to the bcm43xx driver.  To do this, you need to extract the firmware with bcm43xx-fwcutter and then put it in /lib/firmware/.

#4 2007-08-03 17:59:50

arunvragh

Coinago:

I tried the bcm43xx first.. the firmware did not work. I then got the firmware from Dell's website. It recognized the interface as eth1, but could never get  connected. Ndiswrapper also gave me problems initially, but I traced that to the perl symlink not being in place. I solved this by manually creating a symlink for 5.8 to current in usr/lib/perl.

Let me try your suggestion. will get back to you.

If u got bcm43xx to work, did you use the firmware from arch 64 repos? That never worked for me.

#5 2007-08-03 22:52:08

colnago

...and I will check out your symlink find.  The ndiswrapper solution is supposed to be faster.  Thanks.

I got the firmware from the web somewhere, I think from the broadcom site.

#6 2007-08-04 08:41:50

arunvragh

Coinago:

Your enc idea did not work...

How does one enter WEP key 10 digit hexadecimal in rc.conf etc. I tried it straight, then XXXX-XXXX-XX both as key and as enc. It did not work. Do I have to insert an "=" somewhere. I am a bit at sea. I got the wireless going thru wifi-radar. I use gnome, no KDE for me.

I would like to crack this so i have wireless at boot in my office. It was working fine with entries in rc.conf when there was no key. So it is obviously about entering the WEP key in the right format and place..

#7 2007-08-08 10:46:21

arunvragh

Sorted out...

Uninstalled networkmanager gnome-network-manager wifi-radar and installed wicd from AUR. Works flawlessly. Now I have wireless automatically on boot.

Board footer