You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-03 12:53:32

MNeutra

NVidia module not working with Xorg

Hi,

I am using a NVidia GeForce2 MX 200, which is the only GPU in the box. I used "pacman -Sy nvidia-71xx" to install the drivers and as far as I can tell my xorg.conf file is configured correctly but when i start xserver I get the following error message:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***

When i do a "modprobe nvidia" I recieve the error: "FATAL: Module nvidia not found." Have I installed the nvidia drivers correctly? Or is it another problem?

Cheers

#2 2007-08-03 13:16:32

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: NVidia module not working with Xorg

What kernel are you running?  Make sure you're using the most uptodate kernel, since the nvidia drivers in the repos are compiled only for that one.  If your kernel version (uname -r) matches the location the module is supposed to be installed at (pacman -Ql nvidia-71xx | grep ko) then try running depmod -ae and see if that helps.

#3 2007-08-03 13:46:33

MNeutra

Oh, I'm running 2.6.21-ARCH but the nvidia module is looking for 2.6.22! How do I upgrade my kernel? Do i just use pacman?

Cheers for the swift reply!

#4 2007-08-03 13:54:05

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Yup! 

pacman -Syu

updates your entire system.  I try to keep mine fairly up-to-date, and in general you should update your system before installing any new packages, since the new packages may depend on newer versions of stuff you have installed.

If you want to cherrypick the kernel update, you could just do

pacman -Sy kernel26

, but again, if you're using any module packages besides nvidia, they'll need to be updated too, and it's usually just easier to get your whole system updated.

#5 2007-08-03 23:26:24

MNeutra

Again, thanks for the swift response.

My system is now running 2.6.22-ARCH kernel and I tried "depmod -ae" (although I'm not 100% sure what it does). I still recieve the same error messages although now I also get "FATAL: Module nvidia not found" before the original messages. I put the BusID for the card into Xorg.conf but that made no difference. Any ideas?

Cheers again.

Board footer